The following excerpt is taken from Joanna Weaver's book, Having a Mary Spirit, p.146-147.Fear or Faith?
God knew we would struggle with anxiety. He knew that insecurities within and troubles without would press constantly upon our souls, drawing us away from him and into fear. That is why, over and over in the Bible, we hear the words, "Fear not! Be of good courage."
In this world we will have trouble. Jesus said so Himself in John 16:33. There will be hundreds and thousands of reasons to fear throughout our lives, (not to mention next week) for fear is an inegral part of living in the world. What will we eat? What will we wear? Where will we live? Will there be enough money to pay the bills? Are we saving enough for retirement? Will our marriage survive? Will the diagnosis be wrong? Will our kids rebel?
In the natural, life is terminally unstable, and fear is inevitable.
And yet, when you think about it, the conditions that inspire fear are often the very same conditions needed to inspire faith. Any life challenge presents us with a basic choice: fear or faith?
For you see, difficulties can't separate us from God -- only fear can. And fear in its purest form is really unbelief, the false conviction that "God can't, God won't...so I must."
Faith, on the other hand, chooses to believe that "God can, God wants to, and God will...so I choose to trut Him with my life."
Can fear and faith coexist in the same person? Of course they can...and they do. As long as we live on earth, flesh-fed fear retains an influence. But the more we persist in faith, obeying God and opening our hearts to His love, the weaker fear becomes.
Because, in the end, faith and fear are mutually exclusive.
Only one can rule our hearts.
And only faith offers us the gift of quietness and rest.
In a city where fear (of impending natural disaster, rampant crime, inadequate education, just to get started) is prevalent, it's a ongoing inner battle to turn my anxieties over to Him. Now with the country on the brink of a depression (as some suggest), it's not only a concern in New Orleans but also everywhere in America. May faith rule my heart so that I can enjoy and pass on the gift of quietness and rest in uncertain circumstances. I posted this so that I can re-read this over and over in the coming days.
Thanks for sharing this. We can all relate to this. I hope my faith will grow stronger each day.
ReplyDeleteI need this reminder daily,or I would go crazy!!
ReplyDeleteMissa
Did Doug make it back yet? Nick is home. It's nice to have him back. That was a good post. I almost always choose fear. I hate that.
ReplyDelete