Friday, August 15, 2008

Grateful

As some of you know, Doug was in South Africa from July 26 through August 10. You may have noticed the clock for Durban, SA here while he was away. The only way to explain the time we were apart is grateful.

I'm grateful for Doug's opportunity to lead this team in such an amazing endeavor.
I'm grateful for my in-laws and nephews who helped keep us entertained.
I'm grateful for the numerous and generous offers of help from our church body.
I'm grateful for the many prayers offered on our behalf ... from all over. They were felt.
I'm grateful for health, safety, protection, for all of us.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to teach the boys about the world and everyone's need to hear about Jesus.
I'm grateful for having our bed all to myself for awhile. Good sleep!
I'm grateful that the Olympics started just before they returned ... a nice distraction!
I'm grateful that we're all together again.

The trip was amazing (from what they tell me). Doug is putting together a video to present in church on Sunday. Hopefully I can find a way to post it or a link here. I'll include a couple pictures that he sent to us while he was there ... we had email communication but phone conversations were too expensive.

He says the landscape is like a combination of Lancaster County,
the mountains and southeast Louisiana (sugar cane everywhere).

Our guys played soccer against some of the nationals.
They even provided the uniforms.

Leading songs at one of the schools
where they did True Love Waits presentations.

Doug is certain that the role that work teams/our church has had in the NOLA schools was instrumental in knowing how to encourage the schools and staff there. Here's one of the principals, Mark Hugo (South African missionary, Berean's connection to SA), and Doug.

Driving the South African way ... yes, Eileen (Doug's mom) went too. It was her first missions trip; she loved it. She said it was time that she go on an overseas ministry trip since she's watched all three of her kids go so many times. I think it made it a little easier on the boys knowing that Mimie and Daddy were together. Smile.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your family reunited! That is such a wonderful feeling.

    Does Doug always have his hand on his chin? Ever picture I see of him, he is in that same contomplative position ;)

    ReplyDelete