Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Not a newborn anymore

In the past week, I noticed that my sweet adorable newborn had become cranky and not so flexible to take anywhere and anytime. After some basic adjustments, I think we're back to easy-going, wonderful baby again. Just for the record and for my memory, here's what I did:

1. Start feeding on both sides at every feed, starting w/side last administered (that just makes me laugh). I always start with single-side feedings, but I've noticed a lot less spit-up lately and less poopy diapers as well as erratic nighttime wakes. Now that I'm nursing longer at each feed, it seems like he's more satisfied and poops more often.
2. Get back to the basics of my late friend, the Baby Whisperer, with her Eat-Activity-Sleep flexible schedule, taking the time to stop and listen for cues. I'd gotten lazy and was waiting for the cries to let me know what he needed instead of anticipating it. Much more happy baby!
3. Only offer pacifier when it's time to sleep. And, now he is back to falling asleep in the cradle w/no fussing. We had gotten into the habit of giving him the paci pretty much all the time. He drools so much that it helped keep him more dry ... well, we're just dealing with the "spilling" (as Zach says). I need to find some bibs w/a waterproof back and cloth front. Is that possible?
4. Dream feed no less than 2 hours after put down for the night. Sometimes the dream feed (nurse while sleeping) would interrupt his sleep patterns because I'd be too lazy to do it until we went to bed, which sometimes was 3-4 hours after his bedtime.

Just for fun, within the last week I was ready to purchase a Bumbo seat for the little guy since he loves to watch his brothers play, but I can't hold him on my lap all the time. I figured he'd like a little independence. However, I wasn't feeling good about dropping $40 for something I could imagine him only using for several months. So I checked out craigslist. Then, I emailed my mom friends. Lo and behold, a friend had been given one and they didn't like it. We picked it up this morning ... and he LOVES it!! And, you guessed it, Sam and Zach like it too. Before dinner, they were pushing him around in it (carefully) on the kitchen floor. After dinner, Zach turned down going outside so that he could "play with Eli" while he sat in the Bumbo. Love it. Love it. Hooray for friends who don't like Bumbos that save me $40.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE the Baby Whisperer- revolutionized the way I parented newborns (except for the dream feed-never did that). The whole nursing back and forth: everytime I would nurse I would have to think about the first feeding at 6am, imagine where I was, and then tap each side until I was at the present time. Some people use safety pins, I use erratic tapping of the boobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly certain that "lazy" can never be associated with a mother of 3 boys! I always find a deeper appreciation for Beth whenever I have all 3 of mine by myself for longer than an hour. I'd make a lousy mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I am way past those days! I do miss snugglin with babies,that's why I do nursery duty.
    love you guys,
    Missa

    ReplyDelete
  4. eli is just so precious! so glad i got to meet him! and visit with you and the boys! hope all is well im praying for ya!
    -sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bumpo huh? It's amzing the stuff they come up with in a short amount of time. My youngest is 6 now and I am always amazed at how much baby stuff changes.

    Glad you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh girl. thank you for this post. this will be a great reference for me in a few months. It's amazing how quickly i can forget things..even with my littles being so close together. I am excited about the bumbo too. My sister is letting me borrow hers. Yeah for saving $$!

    ReplyDelete