Friday, November 06, 2009

Long weekend

No school for the Sam and Zach yesterday and today. What a nice long weekend! Sadly, the residency calendar doesn't work around LRSD calendar and Doug leaves for a trip with the other guys on Saturday morning through next Thursday. So, it will be a "staycation" for us. Yesterday was a pretty typical day for me, so the boys came with me to "work" at Fellowship childcare. It was fun for them to see what Eli and I do while they are in school. They met some new friends and enjoyed a long day (until 2) since I had lunch w/resident's wives and Carolyn yesterday too.

Today, Doug is off ... just got back from a 13 mile run. Eli was up early (I took the bumper pads out of his crib recently since he was getting closer to climbing out and now his paci falls out through the slats in the middle of the night). He couldn't find his paci at about 5:45, so I stumbled in to rescue him. It didn't take long and he was back to sleep. If I could be certain that he wouldn't bother i.e. climb onto the boys while they were sleeping, I would convert his crib into a toddler bed. But ... I'm not certain. I think Sam's sleep would be interrupted (since he's on the top bunk) often which would add a new dynamic. Neither of the other two were in a crib at this age, but neither of them were avid climbers like Eli either. So, everyone will stay put for a little while longer. Oh, the joys of three little boys sharing a room together.

Anyway, so when I heard Sam and Zach stir around 7:30 and no peeps from Eli, I was happy to snuggle under my covers a little while longer. And then, a sweet little face pops into my bed and says, "Mom, can you get down [from the top of the frig] the Kix? I can get the milk, and then you can go back to bed. I just need some breakfast." I love that middle man, he loves his breakfast, and he knows that Mom likes to sleep in. I did go back to bed after retrieving the Kix, but not for too long since I couldn't stop smiling at how wonderful it was that the two of them had made their own breakfast all by themselves. And, I might try remembering to put the Kix on the table the night before a morning that I can sleep in. Working myself out of some of my job is okay with me, even if it's little bits at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Your path with your three boys is so similar to our's - I just can't help but chuckle a little to myself. At this point, our older two can get their own breakfast AND get breakfast for their little brother. Saturday mornings are very nice...until a ball knocks over a lamp or the orange juice spills everywhere or someone falls down the stairs or whatever. As you well know 3 boys and a quiet house don't really mix very well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love It! I some times miss those days.

    Love and Miss You,

    Missa

    ReplyDelete