Saturday, November 07, 2009

Mountain climb


Many people have recommended a trip up Pinnacle Mountain in the fall when the leaves are changing, so we finally got our chance yesterday. What a trip! It was a mile and a half round trip to the top and really steep once you reached closer to the top. Sam led our troop and quickly took a faster pace than me and Zach. Doug held Eli and kept up with Sam. It seemed that Sam's pace got even quicker the closer they got to the top. Yellow splotches of paint marked the path as well as numbered placards from 1 to 10. Zach was a trooper and hardly wanted to stop for a rest ever. He was quick to point out EVERY yellow marker and remind me of my own words that if we stayed by the yellows then that would be the safest way. Zach and I were just minutes behind the other three. Water and Cheezits were welcomed as we took in the view from the top.

The view from behind going down seemed a bit freakish to me, but the boys were steady on their feet. The whole adventure
really was an accomplishment.
I'm not sure that Doug and I would have done it with them if we had known how difficult it was. Isn't that pretty typical of how we make choices in life though? Hmmm. The boys wanted to take pictures with their "numbers" on the way back down the mountain. Perhaps Doug and I should have taken ours with marker 10 since it's our anniversary number. Smile. Lots of correlations between the climb and our ten years together came to mind ... taking in the view at the top reminded me again of the timely beauty of this year in our marriage and ministry together.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful climb! My boys also have climbed way more than I thought. Have you ever tried Letterboxing? Our family really enjoys it...hiking with a treasure to find!

    Happy 10th! Do you find it hard to believe it's been 10 years! I'll be married 15 in May!

    ReplyDelete