Saturday, October 31, 2009

I'm just sayin ...

... the biggest perk of having kids allergic to peanuts is TONIGHT, folks. They know to ask us about candy that they haven't seen before so it slows them down in how much they eat. Plus, you can't beat the "so sorry, you can't have this [big pile of candy] that has peanuts". Sam is usually the whistle-blower on all things peanut related, so I coached him beforehand and told him we would politely say, "Thank you," and NOT with the usual "does this have peanuts?" to every kind offer. But in the aftermath of the collections, he looked longingly at the Reese's mini peanut butter cups and said, "They just look so good, Mom!" That aluminum nifty wrap got him. Or maybe it was just because it looked easy to open. I wonder if one day he or Zach will throw caution to the wind and just want to "try it and see what happens". Hopefully the Benadryl will be close by.

Certainly, by now you know that my favorite combo of all time is chocolate and peanut butter. Yeah, I'm in trouble. I may need to make one of these calendar things for me. I'm seriously thinking of chopping up all the Reeses cups to save in the frig for future ice cream topping. And maybe if I just throw a bag of Snickers in Doug's jeep, then he can use them as "energy" after he runs or whatever. But, seriously, how have I missed the Reese's peanut butter pumpkins? Yowsers. Yes, I'm in deep trouble. Send me recipes to use this stuff in big quantities so I can delight my friends with baked goodies and share some of the love [and fat].

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the peanut butter and chocolate. Sam needs to take Reuben's lesson "Peanuts are my enemy" Reuben can smell me when I have been eating the infamous Reeses. Fortunately he doesn't react to the smell or anything other than if he were to touch or eat the peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felix started asking people if the candy had peanuts while we were trick or treating. "I'm lergic to peanuts."

    We had to have a little talk before we finished trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids, don't try this at home. But i think Reese's cups would totally be worth going into anaphylactic shock. In fact I would just alternate, Reese's cup, epi-pen, Reese's cup, epi-pen. Okay maybe I would sit in the ER waiting room while I did this. There's a lot of chocolate out there to live for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the story. especially the part where they were coached to say thank you when they got candy and not does that have peanuts in them. the reason i love it is because you maybe should have had that talk with me. we were trick or treating and this lady had a bowl of yummy candy one of them being almond joys (which are m's fave but not mine). he asked if he could have one and she said sure, that she was saving them for all the adults. then she slipped one in my had and i went on to say, "i don't like these." i wasn't meaning to be rude. in the back of my head i was thinking save it for someone who does, and i wasn't saying that i didn't like it to get something else either. it just came out before i could stop myself. how awful or me. even more so when m points it out.

    ReplyDelete