Monday, November 03, 2008

Cutting teeth and Constipation

Ok, so those two are just not good together. Um, not me ... the baby. Eli just poked out his first tooth within the last week. Sleeping through the night has been a dream (love the pun) that I haven't enjoyed lately. Tylenol works for awhile. I guess I need to get some of that numbing teething gel goo. And, since we started solid foods about a month ago, I'm still trying to find the best diet so that it won't be painful for him to poop. Nothing soft about this boy's stools. Prunes have helped him actually go, but it's a cry fest until it's out. I've avoided bananas (and will add rice cereal to that too as I just read that it may be a cause today). I'm diluting with apple juice and have begun to offer a cup with water regularly. We've bicycled his legs, rubbed his tummy. Hmmm. This is a whole new adventure for me, so if anyone has some ideas that worked for you -- I'm all ears.

And this whole third kid thing goes so fast ... seriously, he's already 7 months old. How can that be?

4 comments:

  1. Sorry - no help from here on anything except confirmation that somehow you blink and kid #3 is 2 years old. We just experienced that last week with Carter. I'm not sure how it happens, but it definitely does.

    As far as the other stuff - maybe Beth will post - I'm way out of my league :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerber makes some apple/prune juice in those little 4 packs. That's the only way I could find it. Our doctor recommended that to us. I mix it with Evie's cereal sometimes and it seems to do the trick. We use the baby oatmeal...not sure if that would make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had to give both of ours Milk of Magnesium. You can add 1/2 tsp to the cereal.
    Hope that problem is getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, apples are a great help. Straight apple juice, not diluted, just a little bit a couple times a day will keep him going. Also, you can mix the juice or apple sauce with other things he's eating. Mylicon or gas drops will help with pain/cramps along the way. I've only had a few days here and there where Christohper suffered with this despite my remedies. They are usually very effective. May want also to avoid legumes--the gas can be painful.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete