Thursday, October 23, 2008

A weekend ride

Anticipation. Expectation. Nerves. Tension. Out of control. Hanging on. Arms in the air. Calm satisfying finish. Many emotions surfaced in one weekend as God graciously worked out the details for me to attend MOPS Convention 2009. As I took in the sight of 4000 moms in one room, I realized that God had placed me among them for something special. Just for me ... right then. 

First, He reminded me what an honor it is to be Doug's wife and how exceptionally cool (to me) our partnership is. In the midst of raising three little men, I often place Doug as fourth on my list of men to nurture, love and encourage. Yet, he is the reason I am able to do what I do. We are a great team, and that's mostly due to his confidence in me as the mother of our children.  This spirit of gratitude was just the beginning, yet I was overwhelmed by it. After all, he was home with Sam and Zach, and I didn't even have to leave instructions.

Twists and turns were next as I attended motivational workshop after another. A challenge to find our family's "one big thing" as we become good stewards of God's world was exactly what I needed to hear with so many worthy options available. Understanding the eight multiple intelligences of people opened a window into understanding Zach's bent toward logical learning, as well as understanding how I process my own stuff. 

And then came the biggest loop ... Erwin McManus. (Google his name to find out more.) His words spoke life to me, "The world needs you to life your most heroic life." Wow! What a huge mission. "Would my current dreams make the world a better place if they were carried out? My greatest life is awaiting me on the other side of my greatest fears. What I fear establishes the limits of my freedom. What I fear becomes my master. Perfect love (Christ) casts out fear. God establishes the boundaries of my freedom." It all seemed daunting yet it made so much sense. I have adventure inside of me that is waiting to be awakened. Doug is the dreamer. This is why we were meant for each other. God can use me to encourage Doug's dreams as we enjoy the adventure together ... whatever that may be.

I was pumped, ready to take lofty risks. And then I remembered, I have three little boys who occupy most of my time. How can I take risks change the world with them in my constant care? Then, Elisa Morgan gave perspective as she talked of the woman in Mark 14 who poured costly ointment on Jesus' head to honor Him and show her love. When others asked why this unprecedented act was allowed, the response was, "she did what she could". And, that's all I can do. I can do what I can ... to possess a passionate love for Jesus Christ that shows itself in an unquenchable love and concern for others*; to partner with my husband in the adventure of living in New Orleans with all its uniqueness and needs, to raise little men who love God and make an eternal impact in their world. 

And when my ride on earth is over, may it be said of me: She did what she could.

*Tim Kimmel's definition of true greatness

2 comments:

  1. I love how beautiful and encouraging this was. I needed it today! Thank you. I'm so thankful that you had this opportunity and that God really blessed you. That's just awesome. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystla, you have an award waiting for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete