Amazingly enough, New Orleans has dodged hurricanes for three years. Well, wouldn't you know it, Friday 8/29 is the day that many decisions will be made/broadcast about the need for evacuation from our friend Gustav who is not yet in the Gulf. It's downright ironic that it's the third anniversary of Katrina. Possibly, people will be ringing bells to remember the last big one, and making final preparations to run from another one within hours.So what do we do to prepare for possible hurricane landing? Now that we have little ones, if New Orleans is in the "cone of uncertainty", then we make plans to leave. We have permanent evacuation plans with friends who know to expect us when we need to evacuate. For Katrina, we were relieved that we had their support as we watched history unfold together.
Here's what I do ... pray that God will be gracious no matter what ... then, get finances in order (pay bills, get cash), gas up the van (maybe the jeep this time too), plan to eat as much of the frig/freezer items as possible (power is likely to go out with a small storm), do laundry (to be ready to pack), make a list of stuff to take (since my mind is muddled), think the worst could happen (now we know what that might look like), and try hard not to feel guilty about looking forward to a weekend away to see our friends.
EDIT: 6:45pm ... thanks for all the comments. Thanks for your prayers. Please also know that this thing could go entirely away from our city. It truly is absolutely uncertain at this time. We won't make plans to evacuate until Saturday, if that is necessary. I figured I'd just let my readers know what happens in this whole process.
As you can imagine, tho, many (including government officials) are creating drama already in spite of the fact that we don't know which direction it will go for another couple days. Obviously, no one wants a repeat of Katrina, but the psychological and emotional ramifications of it being the anniversary of Katrina increases the hype. We have to wait and see.
Oh man, we will pray. sorry
ReplyDeleteKnowing people that live in places like you do puts these kind of things in a differnt perspective.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've gotta plan though! I hope and pray it turns out well for you :)
i've been thinking of you. praying for you all. please call if you come to the 'ham!
ReplyDeleteOh girl! Wow. We just don't understand that kind of pressure and proces that involves living in Bham... I will pray too. And at very least, if evacuation happens, I hope that you can have a nice time with friends even if in the midst of a storm!!
ReplyDeleteOh & No guilt!! Guilt is of the enemy!(voice of experience btw!) :)
I heard about Gustave on the news headed toward NOLA and thought of you immediately. Thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteDOn't feel guilty about looking forward to seeing friends. The Lord takes care of us and provides relationships like that on purpose!
Maybe you will get to evacuate (positive spin) and then have a great weekend.
I'm so thankful that you all have a very doable plan. I'll continue to lift you all up in my prayers. Stay safe dear ones.
ReplyDeletePraying for you. I imagine the uncertainty in people's hearts after Katrina is running high. Praying for you and Doug and the unique opportunity that you'll have to remind people that God is still on the throne!
ReplyDeleteAnd praying that this storm misses New Orleans and dies out before reaching land!
We are praying for you all. I'm glad you shared your process. Like Missy said, it puts it into perspective.
ReplyDeleteYou've got friends you can call if you need to head this direction too.
Praying here as well! Love yall...be safe.
ReplyDelete