Monday, February 11, 2008

We love the zoo

Our boys LOVE animals. They don't love anything as much ... cars, trains, sports, etc. It's not that they don't play with those things. It's just amazing how much they LOVE animals. I think we'll benefit from a family membership to the Audubon Zoo for years. Sam already calls it "our zoo". The boys and I visit during the week fairly regularly, but we hadn't been since right after Christmas. They know all the animals and where they live and which ones are next on our normal route around the zoo. We decided to go on Saturday so that Mimie and Daddy could join us plus the weather was perfect.












As we were passing the lions, the zookeeper (Jack) came out with two boxes of elephant dung for them. Believe it or not, it was their 10th birthday so we sang to them and they threw over their birthday presents. Jack explained that elephant dung is super nutritious and kind of like catnip to them. Weird, huh? It was amazing how the lions immediately rose and turned their faces towards the sound of his voice when he arrived. They didn't take their eyes off him the entire time he was talking to the crowd. How cool is that? We were at the lions' birthday "party."

The most exciting part of the day was seeing the seals/sea lions back at "our zoo". Since Katrina, they've been cared for by other establishments. The Zoo renovated their pool while they were gone. Sam has taken great interest in seals, especially since it's his favorite animal that starts with the same letter as his name. He received the book on the left for his birthday which is what we're referring to in the video clip. He was so excited to see them. The sea lion shows weren't happening yet, but I can't wait to see his face when we catch one.

5 comments:

  1. oh I love the zoo. It's just so fun with the kids. We always love the seals too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bham zoo has a great seal stage now with a show. Lots of fun!
    I think zoos are great for kids. Glad yours like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love the zoo, too. The GR zoo isn't all that great, but it's fun to go in the winter time because it's free during the winter and the animals are really active. I never grew out of it, I guess. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the boys a copy of the video Sammy the Sea Lion> I"ll bring it over soon.
    wiss welissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. We seem to always take a trip to the zoo when we are home. Can't wait to see the seals. Last time we were there, Athan expressed that he wanted to spend the most time climbing trees and playing on monkey hill.

    ReplyDelete