Friday, February 01, 2008

Food combinations

The potato pie and milk combination has sparked some mental energy as I recall some unique combinations that we created while growing up. Here's some that I remember ...
  • homemade applesauce and potato chips
  • ice cream and rice krispies
  • graham crackers dipped in milk
  • ice cream and pretzels
  • peanut butter and butter sandwiches
  • butter and homemade jelly on sliced bread
  • ice cream and peanut butter
  • peanut butter and potato chips
  • peanut butter and longhorn cheese
  • ice cream sandwiches w/graham crackers

Here's some others that I've enjoyed since then ...

  • melted shredded cheese on tortilla chips
  • Nilla wafers and peanut butter (thx to Tiffany)

I'm sure there are others ... ya know, those snacks that satisfy cravings when you use what you have to create a new taste. It made me smirk that ice cream and peanut butter were two main ingredients in the first list ... not surprising since those are two of my all-time fav foods.

Feel free to add your own weirdo combos, just for fun.

8 comments:

  1. Here's a weird one that got me through pregnancy...

    Pretzels, cheese, olives and ranch dressing....

    UMMM I can taste it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peanut butter and butter sandwiches brought back some childhood snacking memories. I would sometimes sprinkle sugar on mine before smashing it together. Also Miracle Whip, plain Herr's chips and chunks of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also LOVED, LOVED peanut butter as a kid (still do today!). I would look for any excuse to eat it! My snack staples were:

    Peanut butter and honey sandwiches

    Peanute butter mixed in a bowl with chocolate chips (or butterscotch chips)

    I wonder what combos my kids will come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carpet...thats what I craved when I was pregnant. Just a good old piece of carpet. Not kidding at all!

    Funny combos now...my son loves olive and bacon sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everytime I hear you talking about your food cravings, it reminds me of my visits to Western Maryland as a child. My Grandmother's family is Pennsylvania Dutch. Are you all Pennsylvania Dutch? We would eat all that kind of stuff when we would go up there. And peanut butter on EVERYTHING. My least favorite peanut butter thing that my Dad and Grandmother love: Toasted bread with peanut butter and smoked bologna. I love smoked bologna (Lebanon Bologna), but only if it's from Maryland/Pennsylvaia. It doesn't even taste right when I buy it down here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You crack me up! Pennsylvanian's pour milk on anything and eat peanut butter with everything - I love it. I love slices of sharp cheddar on crackers, topped with jelly(any jelly would do, but prefer Apple.) FYI, I fulfilled a craving today and made peanut butter fudge. I better share most of it or I WILL eat it all:)
    Also, thanks for the king cake recipe. I will try it, even if my dad is mailing me one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy putting peanut butter in my ice cream, peanut butter with syrup mixed together is really yummy also. Oh, and I agree with you and MILK.. Whenever I eat ice cream I always pour milk on top :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of these are unbelievable! I'm weird about food combos... has to be the right day, mood, and craving or it's straight up for me. When I was pregnant, I used to crave green olives and milk. I'd eat a jarful with a big fat glass to chase it daown with! I would also eat mustard or vinegarette dressing by the spoonful. So strange...

    ReplyDelete