attended a family wedding recently, and I couldn't help but enjoy the memories of our own wedding and the years that have led up to this time in our lives. My fondest memory of our wedding day was the absolute peace that I was marrying the right man. All the details didn't seem to matter. The early years of our marriage (when Doug was in seminary and I was in my first teaching job) weren't altogether blissful, but I'm again grateful that we (well, mostly me) created accurate expectations of each other during that time. Once we moved to NOLA five years ago, it seemed like the life we'd imagined together while dating was happening (him in ministry and me at home with kids), which made expectations even more clear. As we've added children to our house, it's been a delight to see how much of life is an adventure as we learn and grow in Christ alongside each other. I love my man.As for the parenting part, I've enjoyed the support network that seems to find me. It's changing all the time. I'm grateful for the MOPS group I've participated in for the last year and half. I love that the boys and I get a break from each other, and I
am handed some kind of "mom-wisdom" that's practical and helpful for the present season. I'm also surrounded by willing older moms to encourage me as long as I'm open to hearing from them. I love that a huge portion of parenting skills are verbally passed on from one generation to the next. This week I started participating in a class using the book, Boundaries with Kids by Cloud and Townsend. I already love it and anticipate lots of yummy conversations (over hot tea, of course) with Doug about the content. This week I was thankful for the reminder to not simply manage the moment, but to look to the future while parenting. That alone has caused me to worship God greater as I thank Him for these two little boys in my care. I can see their growth in responsibility and love towards each other. And, then, to think that another little boy will join our clan. I'm in awe that God would choose me to be their mom. What a treasure. I love my little men.
am handed some kind of "mom-wisdom" that's practical and helpful for the present season. I'm also surrounded by willing older moms to encourage me as long as I'm open to hearing from them. I love that a huge portion of parenting skills are verbally passed on from one generation to the next. This week I started participating in a class using the book, Boundaries with Kids by Cloud and Townsend. I already love it and anticipate lots of yummy conversations (over hot tea, of course) with Doug about the content. This week I was thankful for the reminder to not simply manage the moment, but to look to the future while parenting. That alone has caused me to worship God greater as I thank Him for these two little boys in my care. I can see their growth in responsibility and love towards each other. And, then, to think that another little boy will join our clan. I'm in awe that God would choose me to be their mom. What a treasure. I love my little men.
Gosh, your just so cute and your words are so eloquent that I can barely stand it!
ReplyDeleteGreat picture!
ReplyDeleteCheck out http://www.the-generous-wife.com/
You can subscribe to daily emails. I've really enjoyed them and actually blogged about one today.
cute hair...and your feet don't look too fat. tell doug i like the facial accutraments. sp?
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteI added "Boundaries with Kids" to my wish list. Always looking for good parenting books - let me know how it is. Great picture of you guys! :-)
ReplyDelete