Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy thanksgiving

I'm cooking a bird this year. It's been a while ... maybe back to 1999, our first Thanksgiving married when Joy came to visit us in Dallas. It's supposed to be simple. At first it was going to be just the four of us. However, God arranged for us to find out that another family would be spending the holiday alone, and their family of six will join us along with another single. I'm looking forward to it, yet checking my mind every minute to keep from getting wrapped up in the menu. I want to enjoy the day, be able to relax and not care that my house is a disaster (only by my measure) because there's 6 kids present to pull everything out to play.

The pumpkin and pecan pies were made yesterday (before dinner, Mom ... not at midnight!). Doug will have a hard time deciding what to eat ... for dessert. I prepared the turkey last night (that was at 11pm) ... no stuffing/dressing for us. A couple sides to make today and we're good to go.

As the year's end looms in front of me, I can't help but remember the significant events of this year. It's not been our favorite year, yet God has proven Himself present in the toughest times. We've treasured our boys and their growing relationship with each other in the past months. I can't imagine having another little one in our family right now, and somehow I know that God has healed my heart in His way of knowing best. I'm thankful for the "extra year" that He's allowed for us to be a family of four. I'm grateful for the way He's revealed His grace to us, which encourages us to be more gracious with those around us. On the practical side of things, I'm very thankful for two little boys that use the potty! What an extra measure of grace that I wasn't counting on. I needed a window of light in this season of little ones. Most of all, I'm so grateful for my wonderful husband who honors God without wavering, serves Him even when it's difficult, thinks first of his family when making big decisions, provides for us, and brings joy to our house. There's not a better man that could father our three boys. I'm anxious to see how God continues to grow and build our little family ... and even more excited about our growth as parents with these little boys to live life with.

4:24 PM update: Parade watched. Food devoured. Guests come and gone. Kitchen cleaned. Boys asleep. Sipping newfound yummy tea (see pic). Football in the background. About to read a book. Thankful for a full day of family, friends, food, AND rest. Now that's Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to sum up all the trials and blessings of the past year, and with such a positive, godly outlook. I'm so thankful for your testimony and faith, even in the hard times, and so glad for the joy you're experiencing now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful update!
    I always remember Colin saying...
    "God is good all the time, all the time God is good."
    I realize that more and more everyday of my life.

    So glad you watched the parade!
    Thats one of the highlights of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To find blessings amidst the trials and sorrows is a life immersed in His grace. Thank you for being a walking testimony of His grace by being humbly grateful and not mumbly hateful!
    MMM, Roobois tea...I love the rich red color, the fruity smell and taste. Good choice! I love tea. Any time I get together with even just one other person it's time for a tea party. I've got my granddaughters hooked on tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the above and they put it much more eloquantly then I ever would:) Your a beautiful person and I love ya!

    ReplyDelete