Thursday, August 02, 2007

Good-byes

Upon our return from Charleston, we quickly had to say good-bye to Joy and Em. Of course, we girls stayed up until the wee hours discussing dreams, futures, and God's possible plans for all of us. I'm very thankful for those two. All three of us are at very different stages of life, yet the two of them have a very distinct understanding of my life as a mom after spending a week with our boys. I know the experience only deepened the sisterhood that we share. Anyway, it was kind of sad to have to say good-bye to them so quickly on Monday afternoon. But, of course, we had time to fit in a little visit to Creole Creamery to celebrate the week's events.

Within hours of sending them off at the airport, we began the first of the "lasts" with Rob and Christina. On Tuesday night, Mimie hosted the first big social event in her new house, a sweet farewell for the Johnsons and their friends. We had IBC root beer floats in mugs to help us remember to pray for them while on their 10-month mission to Faith Academy Davoe in the Philippines. Christina loves eating ice cream in a mug while Rob's drink of choice is IBC, so we asked their friends to bring their favorite mug to put it in. A sweet prayer time followed. As we lifted them up together, I smiled at the realization of the very close connections that all in the room had to missions, either as a parent or as a participant. God is good to put so many in one's sphere as support for each other whether doing it ourselves or being a family member of one who has been sent.

We've had multiple special times as a family this week. R&C took the boys to see Charlotte's Web at the theater yesterday (Zach's first time!). They loved it, especially having their own tray of goodies on their laps. Love AMC's Summer Movie Camp. Last night was one more trip to Texas Roadhouse as a family. Today, the boys and I joined R&C for a trip downtown ... a ride on the ferry, a visit to the aquarium, finding a big hot dog for Rob, and yummy beignets for everyone. We're home for naps now, but the gatherings won't stop until tomorrow when their flight leaves early evening.
It's always hard to say good-bye. Sam has asked several times about going with them to the Philippines. The boys will miss their beloved Aunt Tina and Uncle Rob. As much as I hate to say good-bye, I'm excited for them as they take a courageous step to see what God has for their future. It could be very comfortable to stay Stateside just wondering what God wants them to do, but they've chosen to make a move. May I be so anxious to "move" (not necessarily physically) when God calls me to. Too often I'm sitting on the shore watching the waves of God's plan splash before me, but not too anxious to go deeper into Him to trust Him more completely and to know His plan more perfectly. It's a new season for our family as they leave, yet I'm grateful that God allowed our homes to land in the same location for these last two years. The relationships are deep, and now it won't be hard to continue in them even though miles will separate us.

2 comments:

  1. So well put. I often find myself praying the same prayer: "Use me, just don't move me..."

    I took my boy to see Charlotte's Web in the theater yesterday for their version of a family film festival. He loved sitting in the big room and watching "TV!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad ya'll have been able to spend some special time together. I'm sure it will be hard to say good bye after spending almost two years together. I'm glad that mom will still have ya'll there. I'll bet 10 months will fly by and they'll end up back in NO by next summer...at least for a while!

    ReplyDelete