Monday, April 16, 2007

Unexpected treasure

When I first entered the Daspit family officially almost 8 years ago, I never imagined what an asset this family would be to me. Everything about it was so foreign. But I knew without a doubt that these people would indeed become family to me and little did I know my role in this family would become so incredibly different than the role I play in my family. I'm the youngest of seven and live far from the Moyer family action and always feel out of it because I'm not near the regular activities. Now, I'm the oldest of the Daspit "children" and live in the hub of this family, both immediate and extended. It's amazing. I love it. Doug enjoys the difference too and thinks it's pretty cool to be the very youngest of the children/spouses in the Moyer fam.

All this to say ... if you would have told me eight years ago that I would enjoy living in New Orleans right next to Doug's family, I would have thought you were out of your mind. Mom Daspit (Mimie) has been my unexpected treasure. I love that she loves us and wants to show us that all the time. I love that she asks to come watch the boys so Doug and I can go out. I love that she gives us the space we need but knows that it's okay to need us. I treasure her love for me as a daughter-in-law. I am challenged by her love for her children. I respect her sacrifices as a single mom focused on their needs above her own. I admire her personal strength and trust in God's plan as she moves forward in the midst of many of life's unexpected turns. I'm amazed by her ... yet I know she would say, "It's only because of what God has done for me." That's the coolest part. I'm honored to call her my mother-in-law. We have more in common than I would have imagined. We love the same God, the same man (her son, my husband), and the same little boys (her grandsons, my sons).

The last several weeks have been filled with mixed emotions as we've walked alongside her on yet another unexpected path. Today, Mom D. is having surgery to remove calcifications of breast cancer. Once removed, testing will determine treatment to follow. We don't know what the future holds, but we're praying for God's glory to be shown to all. After all, Mom Daspit's life has been completely changed by His power and the hope that He brings.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have that kind of a relationship with your mother-in-law. I will be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mother-in-laws are so great. i love and admire john's mom so much. we are praying for ms eileen's health. please keep posting..and let her know my mom (jane edwards) is thinking of her,too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I can relate to the agony of waiting on reports from doctors, as we did this with my Mom not so long ago. We'll definitely be praying, as ya'll continue to rely on God's strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me boo - hooing!! Eileen is so precious to me and Alf and it is so awsome to hear you talk about her that way. Yall are a blessing to each other. God is soooooooooo good! Much love to the WHOLE fam. Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, dad told me the news. We are praying for all of you
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Crystal- I too believe Eileen is an incredibly woman and testimony to our Lord. Please let her know that she is in my thoughts and prayers daily and I send my love. Once again- these are the times that are hardest to be 5 hours away. Love you guys- give those precious boys a hug from the "Hello Kitty" lady. I send my love to you, Doug and the boys as well. My next scheduled trip to NOLA will be in June- any plans to drive up North? Julie

    ReplyDelete