Many milestones as children grow are determined by themselves. But, today, Doug and I chose one for Zach. This morning we dismantled the crib, rearranged the boys' room, and now both the top and bottom bunkbeds will be occupied by a little boy. Sam has been sleeping on the top for several months since we rigged up a soccerball nightlight on an extension cord to reach the area near his pillow. The bunks were on a wall with a window, so we moved them to the only wall w/o a window so that Zach wouldn't somehow wriggle between the bed and the wall. I'm not concerned about him falling out (he'll survive). And so we've embarked on a new experience for both of them and for us as parents.
We've learned that it's best (for all of us) to introduce transitions at naptime, so as I type, the boys are supposed to be settling for a nap. I checked a

minute ago--Sam had made a mountain w/his covers and stuffed animals, while Zach was laying on the floor with his blanket. :) Every once in awhile I hear giggles and fun. Alas, all is well. Such is expected. Even if they don't sleep a wink this afternoon, they'll be worn out enough to close their eyes tonight.
My new concern is that Sam will fall on his head because he's leaning over the top bunk so far to check on Zach. :) I'll keep you posted.
P.S. This picture was taken back in June 06 on the day we put the bunkbeds together. I think Zach saw this one coming.
EDIT: When Sam was finished resting (no sleep for him), we left Zach in the room on his own ... here's where we find him not long after the room is quiet. Good stuff. Then, we put him in his bed so that he'll at least wake up there. :)

That's fun - milestones are such big deals, for all the stress they sometimes cause, and the joy they bring when we see how far we've come! Those chubby cheeks just make me smile!
ReplyDeleteOur boys loved their bunkbeds and still have not fully forgiven us for moving to a house where they have their own rooms. They still sleep with each other pretty often. It will go a long way toward fostering a close relationship between your boys. Yea! for boys that are getting bigger!
ReplyDeletetime out. where am i gonna sleep now?! i guess i'm back out on the sofa...as Sam would have it;)
ReplyDeleteI have lots of stories about bunkbeds.The best one being i couldn't wait for them to be able to change there own sheets.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Fun fun! I'm trying to talk X into moving E from the toddler bed into the twin that has been in her room for guests. I'm ready to make more space in her room!
ReplyDelete