Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Local tornadoes

This morning around 3am I woke up ... I thought I heard Zach screaming but when I went to check on him -- he was moving around but as quiet as can be. What may have actually woken me up was the incredible storm we were having outside. In the next half hour, we had incredible winds, some rain, and more hail than I've ever experienced before. By 4am, it was all over -- at least in our neighborhood.

We have friends that live less than a mile from where the tornado touched down in Uptown. They don't have power and don't know when they will. Westwego is on the Westbank, about 20 minutes from where we live. I'm feeling for the people staying in the hotel there that was destroyed. Most of the hotel's occupants lost their homes in Katrina. Insult to injury. Although the firehouse (temporary trailer) in Gentilly flipped around, Doug's dad and his wife were safe in their trailer in the same neighborhood.

More loss. More blue roofs. More need. More people to help. More reason to trust God in uncertain circumstances.

Local report

3 comments:

  1. wow. Another reason to long for Heaven. -michelle (rsvp)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Buddy and Debbie were alright.Those were some really strong winds and riving rain. We thank God for his protection during the night.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete