Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tender moment with Sam

Yesterday morning, we stayed home and the boys were playing fine on their own until the phone rang. Of course, right? It's just the way it is with preschool kids ... they have this sense that Mom is having an adult conversation and they've got to thwart it. Anyway, it's probably not that but some of you can relate. My sweet sister-in-law called to check on me and as I'm trying to be honest and vulnerable and not just give the "I'm okay" answer (because I know that's not what she really called to hear), Sam is royally aggravating Zach in a way only he can. I excused myself a couple times to keep it from getting out of hand, but the call soon was cut short because Zach's whimpers turned into an all-out scream.

As I hung up the phone and noticed that it's time for lunch, I put Zach securely in his chair at the kitchen table (still screaming) and quickly got Sam escorted to the potty to relieve himself. He can hold it like no other (that I know of), and I knew he must be about to burst. Sam immediately went into a fit, and I got angry. My anger quickly turned to sobbing as we reached the bathroom with him under force. We hugged and cried together for some moments, he did his business, started washing his hands, helped him get his jellybeans, and ran off to put some kind of food in front of Zach, who was still upset. Just moments later, they were both munching quietly on their lunch, listening to a kids CD as I finished my cry.

Sam and I's conversation as he nibbled on one of Grandma's cutout cookies at the end of lunch:
Me: Sam, I'm sorry I got angry with you.
S: It's okay, Mommy, you're sad.
Me: It's true, Sam. I am sad. Are you sad too?
S: Yeah.
Me: Mommy got upset with you because Aunt R called to check on Mommy because I am sad about the baby, and you were picking on Zach and I couldn't talk to her.
S: Mommy, I try.
Me: I know, Sam, I'm just sad and I'm sorry I got upset with you. Do you forgive me?
S: Yes. Mommy, do you need a kiss?
Me: You bet I do. (smack)

2 comments:

  1. It's so great that our kiddos are so forgiving with us in our weak moments...I just wish I didn't have so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this post? Such a sweet moment to cherish.

    ReplyDelete