Saturday, January 13, 2007

Blessings

I'm amazed at the little things that God has encouraged me with in the midst of our experience. I don't want to forget them ... hence, this post.

First of all, the nurse (Robin) that was assigned to me during my stay on Wednesday was phenomenal. Her demeanor and care fit me and my needs. She gave me a number to reach the phone in her pocket if I needed her immediately. Her compassion was tender yet guarded and I could feel that she felt some of what we were going through. Although she wasn't able to get handprints and footprints, she took digital pictures of the baby (for the file) and showed them to us in an honoring way from the camera later in the evening after we had some time to process. We did see the baby earlier, but the pictures will be my memory of our little one. I didn't realize how much I would rely on her throughout the whole process. (In normal births, the nurses usually quickly move to the background once the baby is born. Not so in our situation.)

So here's my list:
-Two weeks of mental preparation and knowledge of our baby's condition.
-Phone call from a friend on Tues who had gone through exactly what I was about to.
-The nurse was in the room and at my bedside when I delivered.
-Since I delivered the placenta on my own, there was no need for a D&C.
-Emotional pain did not intensify the physical pain.
-Wireless WiFi to feel connected and supported by so many friends and family.
-Compromising w/my OB to let me sleep at home on Wed. night (he really would have preferred for me to stay until Thursday AM).
-Arriving at home to Mimie and Christina and sleeping sons.
-The boys being well cared for by two of their most favorite people during our hospital stay and on Thursday.
-Christina highlighting my hair during Thursday's naps.
-Flowers arrive on Thurs afternoon with a promise of a visit from Joy and Em next weekend.
-Yummy meals brought by church friends up through next week.
-Phone calls from close friends here that weren't too scared to call and see how I am doing.
-More flowers delivered today labeled, "Here is a big hug from your precious little one in heaven!" (tears)
-A family reunion was already planned last year over the weekend after my due date (6/26) -- how amazing is God to give me my whole family's support during that weekend when we would normally not have been able to go because of the baby's birth.

I'm sure there's more and as I recall -- I'll edit this post.

One more thing ... I recently was given a perpetual calendar at a MOPS meeting. It now sits on the windowsill above my kitchen sink.
Here's the entry for January 10:
Be still, and know that I am God. ~ Psalm 46:10
As moms, we're sometimes afraid to trust God with our children. But what we fail to realize is this--He loves them even more than we do. He loved them before we ever held them in our arms. We can trust Him with our kids.

--365 Days of Wisdom for Moms

5 comments:

  1. You're doing amazingly well with this whole process that might normally tear a person to pieces. God knew what you could handle and was watching over you every step of the way. Keep leaning on Him.
    Traci
    PS Tell Em I expect to see her butt in church...I have something I want to show her;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire that you are keeping the blessings at the front of your thoughts. It would be so easy to let those slip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -c thanks so much again for keeping everyone updated on what has been going on with you. also thank you for the courage and the way you handled this. i know that it was through God's strength alone but it was really encouraging to me and i think you truely are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your honesty and open heart has encouraged me in my own journey. You were on my mind a lot tonight. I hope you were able to feel the prayers being said on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe of the strength and grace God has blessed you with through this ordeal. You have been in our thoughts and prayers often. Know that your words on this page are an encouragement to me-- God is using this trial to bless others already. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling... I love you and I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Jessica D

    ReplyDelete