Friday, November 10, 2006

Fall retreat

Doug left tonight for the youth fall retreat at Fountainebleau State Park. The boys and I were in Mandeville earlier today (about an hour away) -- buying groceries, checking out our site (much uglier postK), etc. I'll leave tomorrow morning at 7 to meet them before breakfast and stay the rest of the weekend until Sunday afternoon, while Mimie stays with the boys.

It's been a difficult day. Doug and I both felt the "very different" in our efforts as we prepared for the weekend. In the past (pre-Katrina), we've had two separate fall retreats (one for jr. high and one for sr. high) reaching 50-60 combined at both weekends. This year ... we'll have one retreat with a whoppin' 12 of us including leaders. Yeah, numbers aren't everything. Yeah, smaller group means more intimacy ... but we're still grieving the loss of families that we had anticipated to be committed supporters of youth ministry but have now relocated. Different circumstances for everyone these days ... and less commitment all around of being involved. It's time for us to move on emotionally, but the transition pains are back like arthritis that just won't let up. Pray for us this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. I admit, that's not an issue I've prayed much for, in the post-Katrina New Orleans...youth workers, and youth, period! I will remember ya'll, and hope this is a special time with this group, who God has obviously put together for a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys will be in our prayers. i can't believe that the connection is still going there. i think that i went to 2 or 3 fall retreats there and loved it. that's to cool. tell doug not to show ground hogs day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet C.,

    I'm so sorry. I can't relate to that kind of grief, but it is grief, surely. So much loss! I feel for you both!...And how ironic, your family and mine, losing a grandparent within weeks of one another. It's never easy. I love having more contact w/ you thru this blogging thing that YOU are responsible for getting me involved with! :) It's a good thing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete