Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Breathe

The retreat was great. In spite of a smaller group, they played together and enjoyed each other. Doug's talks surrounded the theme "fast" ... the first one was about holding fast in the midst of temptation; the second was slowing down to contemplate and ponder; and the last was doing the fast ... a prep for the 30hour famine that the youth are doing this weekend. It's always fun and good to hear my husband speak. His words can be most convicting.

Anyway, part of his fasting talk included this principle: Fasting reveals what controls us. Hmmm. I have to admit that I haven't fasted very much in my life -- or even been challenged to do so. I've been mulling this over and am curious as to how to incorporate fasting into my faith journey.

Sometimes I think busyness controls me -- some created by me and some expected by others. Last night was the annual Thanksgiving dinner, which is an outreach for the women of our church to invite their friends to attend. Since I'm a part of the Ladies Service Ministries leadership team, I ordered food and worked in the kitchen from 5:30-10:30 last night. In the midst of that, I took a meal for a church family having a difficult time. Yesterday was one of those days when I realize that I have too much on my plate. If it hadn't been Doug's day off, I wouldn't have been able to complete all the tasks. It's all good stuff, ya know -- but my family undergoes the stress of these responsibilities as I'm running crazy. This week, I'll gather the Christmas shoeboxes from the OCC outreach and take them to the collection center. The weekend is the famine. Even though, I'm not individually participating, I know I'm without Doug for the entire weekend. On Saturday, the boys and I will visit the zoo with our community group .... and then, maybe on Monday, I can breathe again.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving only because we have no plans -- and no desire to make any. :) Ever have any of those crazy periods of time where you don't think you can catch your breath long enough to do anything more than your commitments? Why do we pack our lives? Is it really all necessary, even if it's all good? I want to make the most of every opportunity -- but NOT just to fill my time.... to glorify God with my life. I wonder how often I miss His true glory because I'm too busy doing and don't have time to reflect on Him.

5 comments:

  1. You could move to England...there's much more breathing room over here. I am REALLY enjoying the slower pace of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet one,

    This very subject that YOU are pondering :), is very near and dear to my heart. It has been for the past 2 years now I'd say. I think it came out of my deep exhaustion from postpartum. The topic of a Sabbath lifestyle is one that allures me. Whether you want it or not, here is a list of books I've been mulling over on this topic. GREAT CHALLENGING and thought-provoking stuff! I will be quick to admit that most of these I've only had time to "snack" on, but oh, boy, what nutritional snacks!

    1. The Rest of God.
    Mark Buchanan

    2. Keeping the Sabbath Wholly.
    Marva Dawn

    3. The Sense of the Call; A
    Sabbath Way of Life for Those
    Who Serve God, the Church and
    the World.
    Marva Dawn

    4. Sabbath; Finding Rest,
    Renewal and Delight in our
    Busy Lives.
    Wayne Muller
    - this one you have to read
    with Biblical criticism
    eye, but has awesome
    truth making it well worth
    the read!

    5. Receiving the Day
    Dorothy C. Bass

    6. Sacred Rhythms; Finding a
    Peaceful Pace in a Hectic
    World
    Christine Sine, M.D.

    7. Margin
    last name, Swenson

    The 2nd one by Marva Dawn is one that might speak more to you as you are in fulltime ministry. It is deep reading, though, I'll warn you, but GOOD! Probably best read after her first one, Keeping the Sabbath Wholly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, N, for all those recommendations! :) Of course, I'd be curious to read any on that list --- our traditional sabbath (Sunday) is far from restful usually since it's my "single parent" day. That's not too abnormal except for all the Sunday church activities.

    And, heather, what makes it slower? How does that happen for a whole culture? I've lived in America for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how that happens for everyone but there are a number of things that help with a slower lifestyle here...
    - normal work week is 35 hours...37 is the max.
    - nothing starts/opens here before 9am -- jobs, schools, stores, etc.
    - the whole city centre closes down by 6pm -- we heard that they will open LATE for Christmas shopping 'til 7pm (how funny is that?!?!)
    - Plus, they all take time for a cup of tea (or 3) every single day. That has to help, right? :)
    - Then, as students with no cars, we have to be very deliberate about what is truly important to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, the late Christmas shopping is only on Thursday nights. They wouldn't want to get too wild and crazy (or actually work 40 hours in one week)! :)

    ReplyDelete