Well not really, but kind of.
We were invited to a special gathering of pastors and spouses for prayer and encouragement by Franklin and Billy Graham, who are in town this week because of Celebration of Hope taking place this weekend. We thought it was going to be a luncheon type thing, but it turned out to be a service complete with Cliff Barrows and George Beverly Shea (thought of you, Dad -- you would have loved it -- he's 97!). The lunch was kind of a side thing ... plates served buffet by a local restaurant and "find your own spot" to eat. We ended up on the floor of the porch outside. I think Doug took some pics with his new camera phone so check out his blog to see them when he posts.
Anyway, it was an honor to be there. I felt like a part of history. Billy Graham has ministered for so long and in so many places ... he's definitely an icon in our Christian community. Bev Shea and Cliff Barrows are names I recognized from childhood. Franklin and Samaritan's Purse were some of the first responders to our situation just weeks after Katrina hit. I'm thankful that they've come to minister to the spiritual needs of NOLA and pray that the results will be evident far and wide in our city.
A local news article about Billy Graham's visit to NOLA.
No comments:
Post a Comment