I remember days as a little girl that I declared myself the librarian of all the books in our home, put cards in the books along with a date due slip on the back cover, and even sent out notices of fines to my siblings when the book was not returned in a timely fashion. If my memory is correct, one of my "big" purchases with my cleaning money aka allowance was a rotary date stamp with a black stamp pad. It was a treasure!
I'm not sure when, but at some point my mom would drop me off at the library by myself while she ran an errand or two, and I buried myself in the shelf of the all-things Beverly Cleary, and then eventually the Sweet Valley Twins. Having my own personal library card was a huge privilege and responsibility. I don't ever remember paying a fine. The beauty of borrowing books for free was so simple and meaningful. There were so many choices and nothing holding me back.
As an upper-elementary teacher, I discovered some amazing children's literature that I never was exposed to as a child. I definitely didn't mind reading children's literature for my job. My favorite parts of the year were memorialized by the chapter book I was reading with my students ... Number the Stars, The Bronze Bow, Johnny Tremain, The Sign of the Beaver, Caddie Woodlawn will always be some of my favorite memories of teaching in Dallas as a newly married seminary wife.
As a new New Orleanian and new pastor's wife, I chose to give some life to our church's very worn-out and unused library. I got to pretend to be a librarian and help others get excited about books and videos in our church library.
As a young mom, it literally became the highlight of my week to visit the public library and check-out a stack of 20+ picture books to read to my toddler boys before naps and bedtime. We found many favorites along the way and simply enjoyed many great stories and pictures together, not to mention the cuddles, giggles, and sleepy eyes that go with them. Usually our visit to the library would include weekly storytime. What a beautiful thing it is for a SAHM who loves to read. I learned songs and fingerplays I never knew. I met other moms and children. We had fun together.
And once again, I find myself in a public library every week. This time it's my way to get to know and love our new community better and have reason and purpose to be in Gentilly on a regular basis with my interests and skills. When we first visited and saw no programs for kids publicized, I volunteered to be the "storytime lady" every Wednesday, and they said, "yes!". I pretend to be on the library staff. ;) Eli and I are making friends and reading our way through the collection. What an honor and fun thing it is to serve our community this way! I'm so thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment