The boys and I flew to Baltimore last Thursday in order to spend some extra time with my family before my sister's wedding on 3/22. I'm sure you're thinking ... you flew by yourself with three boys? You've got to be kidding. But, I'm happy to report that our day couldn't have gone more perfectly. First of all, I enlisted everyone I knew to pray us there. The boys and I decided that they'd wear their matching Phillies' jerseys (see previous post), and that proved to send some good signals to those around us that were willing to help. I knew I'd be relying on the kindness of many strangers to help us with small things along the way. I figured that the flight attendants would be the ones I'd call on for help, but it was the other travellers who quickly came to our aid if necessary. The matching shirts helped people realize that they were all mine. ;) One lady even said, "You are very capable." But many helped pick up dropped toys, put up and down shades, hold Eli, or whatever. A friend lent us their portable DVD player so that was indeed helpful on the longest flight. We made it safe and sound and mostly patient with one another even though none of us slept on any of the flights. From Baltimore, we had a 3 hour drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house so then each of the boys took at least a short snooze. We're happy to be here ... more about my new brother-in-law and nephews and niece in the next post.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Flying with kids
The boys and I flew to Baltimore last Thursday in order to spend some extra time with my family before my sister's wedding on 3/22. I'm sure you're thinking ... you flew by yourself with three boys? You've got to be kidding. But, I'm happy to report that our day couldn't have gone more perfectly. First of all, I enlisted everyone I knew to pray us there. The boys and I decided that they'd wear their matching Phillies' jerseys (see previous post), and that proved to send some good signals to those around us that were willing to help. I knew I'd be relying on the kindness of many strangers to help us with small things along the way. I figured that the flight attendants would be the ones I'd call on for help, but it was the other travellers who quickly came to our aid if necessary. The matching shirts helped people realize that they were all mine. ;) One lady even said, "You are very capable." But many helped pick up dropped toys, put up and down shades, hold Eli, or whatever. A friend lent us their portable DVD player so that was indeed helpful on the longest flight. We made it safe and sound and mostly patient with one another even though none of us slept on any of the flights. From Baltimore, we had a 3 hour drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house so then each of the boys took at least a short snooze. We're happy to be here ... more about my new brother-in-law and nephews and niece in the next post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so glad it went well. You're a super mom, Crystal.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! That can be quite stressful! I'm glad to hear it was smoothe. :)
ReplyDeletewow that is great. i have be nervous to fly with little guy. i told the hubs that the first time we do it i want him to be there too. we haven't had the oppourtunity yet. if you did as well with three then it gives me hope to fly with my one. :)
ReplyDeleteHopefully you didnt have to go pee! hee, hee
ReplyDelete