While in PA, we picked two pumpkins from the orchard that we visited and brought them back home with us. I didn't have much plan for them, until I realized they might actually last until Halloween. Since we're not at the pumpkin carving stage with our kids yet, the picked pumpkins have simply set on our front porch. We used them for decorations at two church events over the weekend, and they came home with us again. Yesterday, I decided to cut one up, bake it, puree it, and I even toasted the seeds (now that will be a tradition-yum!). Our family really digs pumpkin pie and with Eli eating baby food, I figured it was worth it.
Now, what to do with the six cups of pumpkin puree. Well, first on my list was to make these fabulous-looking pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this afternoon, which were declared "delicious" by all three of my tasters. The rest will be for other pumpkin recipes. I'll make a pumpkin pie, but it will be curious to see if it's enjoyed as much as Libby's pumpkin pie.
And, since I was in the kitchen a lot yesterday, I pureed more foods for Eli. Now I've got cubes of sweet potatoes, peaches, pears, apples, green beans, and pumpkin in my freezer. The next ones on my list are carrots, broccoli, and squash. And, I guess I need to figure out how to make prunes. Smile.
I still have pumpkins from trunk or treat and I've been thinking about toasting the seeds and baking something with the flesh myself. In Belize we eat toasted pumpkin seeds called "pepitos"
ReplyDeleteYay! I am going to have to do that. I have 4 pumpkins and nothing to do with them.
ReplyDeleteHow did you do the peaches? I think I may wait until E can have raw peach puree. I need to post about my baby food making adventures!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a Martha! hee,hee This year we went to a fun pumkin carving party. Very simple. Chili for dinner and kids pick out the design for pumkins and parents carve. A great time for all! Mentioning in case you want an idea for the future:)
ReplyDeleteYou think you're funny about the green peppers don't you? As long as I can pick them out I'm okay. You know me too well.
ReplyDelete