For the last several months, I've been receiving daily tips from The Generous Wife website. It's been a timely reminder as I check email to continue to develop my relationship with Doug in the midst of a very needy season as a mom. The latest email tip was worth sharing ... probably because it's right where I am. Here's a portion, "A total lack of compassion will kill a marriage very quickly, but even a minor lack of compassion will cause significant damage over time. In fact, having compassion but not enough, or only having it some of the time, is destructive. Some folks are just lacking in compassion, but much of the time a lack of compassion is a side effect of some other issue. When we are stressed, tired, worried, hurried or otherwise not at our best it is far more difficult to care, to show compassion. If you want to be compassionate and caring toward your husband (and others), you have to shape your life so that you have the personal/emotional energy and the time to do so. It's likely to mean some very tough choices."
I liked that they used the word compassion instead of love ... I don't know, but it gives a more distinct flavor of something that needs to be worked on constantly. For me, anyway. For instance, I doubt that the love I have for my husband will fade. The love I have for my husband is similar to my faith in God ... it gets stronger as the storms blow through and is one of those immovable rocks in my life. Compassion, on the other hand, takes more effort, in my mind. To show true compassion takes a guarded mind, heart and mouth as I seek to be selfless in how I demonstrate my love for my husband. It's all semantics, I'm sure, but nevertheless I'm challenged to be more compassionate towards Doug.
This quote from Mother Teresa challenges me even more, Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
That helps keep it all in perspective. It's so easy to be tired and use it as an excuse to do nothing or only what is necessary to get by. Showing compassion without getting tired. Yep, that's exactly what I want to do. God, help me to shape my life in order to have time and energy to show compassion to others, including my husband.
That's what Jesus has been trying to tell us for yrs.But we are so bull headed, sometimes that we just don't get it. Thanks for sharing and finally getting it.
ReplyDeleteMissa
Thanks for this great reminder. I think I need to read this every morning when I wake up. Where do you get those daily emails? When you commented on my blog, I couldn't figure out who "c" was, but then I found your blog, and now I get it! By the way, I love your pics of Rob and Christina coming home! The signs your boys made are great!!
ReplyDeleteWe all need a little reminder once in a while. Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteI get those tips too. It's always amazing how one will come across on the exact day that you need it too.
ReplyDeleteThe Generous Wife has had some really good tips. I love the reminder about compassion.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of this site, thanks for the link!
ReplyDelete