Monday, March 31, 2008

Lovin' a Monday

Mondays are my favorite day of the week ... most of the time. It's one of the best perks of having a husband in f/t ministry, in my opinion. Saturdays are usually full because everyone else is not working and Sundays are a blur for most families anyway. Sundays for Doug start at 7:30am and end about 14 hours later with about a 2 hour break for lunch, typically, which means ... I'm on my own to get myself and the kids ready for church in the morning. Then, we're home long enough for lunch and naps before me and the boys return to church for youth and kids' activities. So, Monday is usually my "errands-by-myself" day and "get stuff done around the house" day for both of us. We rarely go anywhere as a family, although Doug and I usually get out of the house alone at some point of the day.

The best parts of today ...
  1. I was wide awake and felt rested before I heard the boys rouse!! I love it when they come in our room while I'm reading to say "good morning!" Cuddle time usually follows.
  2. I saw my OB and have dilated another inch ... up to 3cm. Next appointment hopefully won't be necessary ... it's for next Wed. Still waiting and trying hard to be patient about it.
  3. We sold 4 more used books on half.com, so a trip to the post office by myself is always preferred over having two little boys waiting in line with me. Of course, the line is always short when they're not with me. Smile.
  4. A quick stop at Wal-mart to pick up marigolds for my tomato bucket (as suggested by graced). I couldn't resist some cheap potted impatiens to add some color to my front flowerbed, too.
  5. Another stop at Sally Beauty Supply to invest in the Peanut so that I can cut the little boys' haircuts, which I did before dinner! Sam was a champ and Zach struggled but I was thankful for Daddy around to help keep him distracted. Just two more rounds of haircuts and we'll be saving money.
  6. I planted everything this afternoon ... 3 herbs in one pot, cucumber in one pot, eggplant in another pot, green pepper in the sideyard bed, impatiens in the front, marigolds and tomato in the bucket hanging from the back patio ... we'll see.
  7. Dinner was yummy and quick ... broiled tilapia parmesan (awesome recipe that everyone loves!), baked potatoes and steamed carrots. I keep frozen tilapia on-hand to make this when I need something fast ... half the recipe for our four, no leftovers.
  8. The boys are transitioning to napping in the same room ... no actual sleeping happened today in spite of their 2-hour "rest" in their room, so they were bathed and in bed on time. Doug is off to pick up a free movie rental (w/coupon). Shower and pajamas are in order for me.

What a wonderful Monday!

6 comments:

  1. Ug, I was excited about the Tilapia recipe until I saw the Mayo...I have a phobia!
    Tilapia is one of freezer "staples" too.
    I have a feeling that your boys and mine are going to be pretty picky when it comes to picking out a wife that cooks as good as Mom! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those kind of days,it sounds like it was a wonderful day. And thanks for the recipe! I've already saved it to my box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the Tilapia recipe. It was great. Richard, who doesn't like fish, said that it was good.

    Thanks,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. C- I am so impressed you're cutting your boys hair. I was JUST thinking last week as I took my little man for his second hair cut that the boys require WAY more hair maintenance. (who knew?) I had a coupon for a free cut from a new salon for this cut, but the girls can go much longer without cuts than the boys!! Joel's can be written off as a work expense, but I'm not yet willing to "clip" Kai's curls, so I won't let him go to the exchange where it's really cheap! I need to learn to do it myself. It's just hair... it'll grow back, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-O that "anonymous" above is me: Jessica D. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love from the Kochs on your new birth! What a wonderful day you had on this day just before the baby arrived! You are very strong
    and a natural mother too. I posted
    here because I noticed there were 30 on the announcement post! We're so glad you are all doing well.

    Love Again and Again,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete