Friday, March 28, 2008

Gardening efforts

As a result of the "homemaking" chapters in the Woman's High Calling Bible study I'm a part of, I decided to invest some cash into some vegetable and herb plants to see what I could grow. Having grown up with family gardens, I've always thought that rows and rows of produce was the only way to really have a garden. However, our little family couldn't handle the wealth of harvest such a mass could produce, besides the fact that our yard isn't big enough or sunny enough for such an endeavor. So, at the advice of one of the "older" women in our study, I decided to go with just one plant of some of the basic veggies and herbs I use most frequently. In case it all goes badly, I'm only out about $15. And, if we only get one "fruit" from each plant, then I'll probably have gotten my money's worth. Besides, it will be fun to teach the kids where all those yummy veggies really come from and to watch them grow. When it's so blastin' hot this summer, it will give us an excuse to go outside even for just a very short while to check, water, and weed.

My choice of herbs are sweet basil, curled parsley, and cilantro (may get some mint too to add to tea). The veggies are cucumber, tomato, eggplant, sweet green bell pepper, and zucchini (wouldn't mind adding summer squash to the mix). All the plants I purchased are Bonnie plants from Wal-mart. I've already learned a lot from their website, especially about container gardening. Since our yard is super-shady from mature shady trees, it will be nice to have them in containers to move them in case they need more/less sun than what I intend when I plant them. Plus, our house's previous owner left some great containers that will totally work for my little adventure.

Although I'm hoping for success ... my motto has been, "When you're growing children (young ones at least), don't grow plants." This came about after all my plants on our apartment's patio died within the first year of Sam's life. But now I have two little waterers, so we'll see what happens.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck! I am not a good planter.
    Lana and I just planted some wildflower seeds in containers. I think containers are the way to go...like you said, less money.

    You are so brave...plants and a new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I throw in a little from what I have learned. Containers dry out very fast! It is very hard to keep them watered enough for veggies. There are a few ways to overcome that. First you can tear apart a diaper and mix the insides with your soil (the absorbent material). This will trap water and slowly release it. You can also "plant" a plastic drink bottle with pinprick holes around the sides so that just the lip is sticking out. Then you can fill it with water and it will slowly leak out (just refill the bottle to water some more). Also, we have enjoyed hanging our tomatoes (basically get a bucket, cut a small hole in the bottom, put the plant in so that the leaves are hanging out the bottom and fill the bucket with soil. Add Marigolds to the top for pretty and for bug reduction). Then hang the bucket in a very sunny location and enjoy plants that don't have to be supported and fruit that is clean and bug free.
    Lastly, (sorry, I really love this stuff!) we are trying a three-sisters garden this year. This is a Indian gardening technique that is great for small areas. You plant a few corn plants and allow them to grow 8 inches or so. Then you plant a few beans at the base of the corn. The beans will use the corn as a runner. After they are a few inches tall you plant squash around the base of it all (we are using cucumber due to our dislike of squash). The corn supports the beans, the beans feed the corn, the "squash" shades the roots, retains water, and keeps out weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, graced, I didn't know you had such a wealth of ideas. I love all those tips. I just may try all of them, except the last one -- I'll save that for another year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, me and graced need to hook up! She is brilliant. Crystal, I did the herb thing last year. It was alot of fun but basil is HIGH maintenance. I am so going to do the marigold/tomatoe idea. BTW, Doug and Alf - keep each other accountable - no way, it would be a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started my herb garden will 10 different herbs. I also have a tomato plant groing from seeds I took froma ripened tomato hope it produces. My next endeavor is a few other plants like cumber and pepper other stuff. I have two kind of mint. Come on over and I"ll give you some samples. There is nothing better than dried fresh herbs. I aao dry mine at the end of the season and use them yr round when not in season.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. -C- I thought your gardeners might enjoy this contest
    Kids’ Favorite TickleMe Plant Seeds, FREE for Earth Day.
    Help Your Child Get Excited About and Sensitive to Plants and Nature!


    The TickleMe Plant Company will send a packet of TickleMe Plant® seeds to one hundred people, selected randomly, who respond to this question “What are three or more reasons why plants are important to the health of Planet Earth and Its Inhabitants?” Send your email response in the form of words, pictures, poems, etc to: customerservice@ticklemeplant.com or mail a letter to: Earth Day Contest, TickleMe Plant Company, 60 Hurds Corner Road, Pawling, N.Y 12564. Be sure to visit www.TickleMePlant.com to learn about the TickleMe Plant.

    “We are offering this contest because we want kids to become sensitive to and aware of the importance of plants. In addition, we love seeing how excited kids get the first time they tickle their plant and it moves! ” says Larry Chipkin –President of the TickleMe Plant Company. Everyone is a winner, as all entries and letters with email addresses will be emailed a two dollar discount coupon. Winners will be informed on or before Earth Day April 22, 2008. Some responses will be posted on the website.
    In addition, The TickleMe Plant Company will donate 1% of all 2008 profits to The Nature Conservancy’s program to save the rainforest called “Adopt an Acre®.”

    What is a TickleMe Plant?
    Native to Brazil, they can be found there and in other tropical areas, growing in the wild. The scientific name for the TickleMe Plant is Mimosa pudica.
    "You simply plant the seeds in one of our growing kits or a flower pot with soil, water it and the plants will sprout in days," says Larry Chipkin. Two weeks later, you can tickle this very sensitive plant and watch in amazement as the plant closes its leaves and lowers its branches. Then, usually within 15 minutes, it lifts its fernlike branches and re-opens its leaves. TickleMe Plants can be grown any time of the year, as an indoor houseplant. They can also produce pretty pink fluffy flowers!

    About The TickleMe Plant Company
    Mark Chipkin, Educational Project Director says, "We want every child (and those young at heart) to have a positive experience growing plants. Growing the TickleMe Plant from seeds is an adventure children (5 to 105) will never forget."
    All TickleMe Plant products are easy to grow, no green thumb needed! Thousands of teachers and students (K-Graduate School) have grown their own TickleMe Plants. The TickleMe Plant product line includes: packets of seeds, complete growing kits with soil pellets and greenhouses with flower pots. These seed retail for $4.95 plus shipping at www.TickleMePlant.com

    For more information, cool experiments and activities, visit www.TickleMePlant.com TickleMe Plant products are available throughout the continental United States. They make great gifts and party favors for all occasions. They can be found at science museums, nature centers, stores and catalogs that offer educational products which excite youngsters about science, gardening and nature. TickleMe Plants also are sold on line at web stores, such as Educational Innovations, Edmunds Scientifics, and eNasco.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post and pics made me want to buy some! But then I got overwhelmed with all the talent I just read about in the comments! I have zero confidence in the plants dept. Maybe I'll just buy one and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having little waterers does help! I had my first garden last year, and I used containers because I didn't have time to dig up a plot in the ground. It was nice to have something to do while the girls were playing outside, though my veggies suffered while we went on vacation. The ones that survived were my tomatoes that I had put into the kiddie pool filled with water. All the other veggies dried out and died. This year I've been working on ammending the soil and am going to try veggies in the ground, but keep my herbs in pots. I grew a HUGE abundance of herbs last year - they are so easy to grow in containers and if you use them in your cooking you can save SO much money. I grew cilantro, parsley, and basil that I cook with all the time. This year I found a thai basil plant which I'm so excited about!

    ReplyDelete