Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A taste of home

Due to several factors (mostly preggo cravings and it's been awhile since I've been in PA), I decided to tackle a homemade "from scratch" pie crust and somehow pulled off a potato corn pie that is now baking in the oven. Yummy. It's been at least a couple years since I made "real" pie crust, but the $2.50 saved by avoiding the easy Pillsbury kind was too enticing when our grocery budget seems out of whack. Thankfully, everything went smoothly and nothing was thrown in the kitchen during the process.

For those of you unaware of this simple carbolicious wonder from my upbringing, let me explain ... two pastry pie crusts surround layers of raw potato slices and corn well seasoned with salt and pepper with additional dots of butter on the very top layer. Easy? Cheap? You bet. The unique part of this entree is that when served hot, you place a steaming slice in a bowl and pour just the right amount of cold milk over it. Using the side of your spoon, you break the pie into bite size pieces and devour it just like that. Seconds are a must and there were usually NO leftovers at the Moyer dining table. However, it should be noted that Doug has not bought into the pouring milk over thing (as discussed regarding strawberry shortcake months ago). Being that he doesn't enjoy it the traditional way, it takes away the nostalgia for me and this may be the second time I've made it in our 8+ years of matrimony.
We'll see how it goes over with the boys tonight. I planned on adding cooked chicken or ground beef and maybe a green veggie (instead of corn) to the pie, but I chickened out because I was craving the original so bad. I'll have to serve some sort of protein on the side this time, but I figure that this can be our version of "chicken pot pie" (minus the canned soups) or something like that once I figure out the right combination. Feel free to comment with your ideas.
Oh, while I'm thinking about cravings... for those of you who are craving king cake but aren't in a place where you can purchase it, I came across this. If you try it, let me know what you think. I'll send you a baby in the mail if necessary. It sure would be cheaper than sending you a king cake in the mail. I may try it next year. I'm already "king-cake'd out" for this year.

7 comments:

  1. I love when you write about food. Have to say I've never had corn and potato pie from the Moyer household. How did I miss that? I know I've had some pretty good food made by Moyer hands. :) I hope the pie was yummy. I love reading what is going on with your family. It's nice to be kept up to date on the goings on with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. I was just craving King Cake and wondering if it could be made from scratch. I have been trying to explain it to the boys (they saw it in the grocery last week when we were at the beach). Thanks for reading my mind.

    The pie also sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well first of all, I don't believe that it's possible to be "king-cake'd out." :-) All that talk about cooking made me "crave" for my own kitchen again :-) Although I'm still not sure I'd tackle that recipe - looked pretty involved. Regarding the pie, I'd be happy to try it the traditional way if you make one while we're down there. The only thing I'd think to add would be cheese, but I add cheese to everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH, I wonder why my Mom never made that for us? She's a PA girl and I don't remember that little bit of delight! Sounds really good. Good job on doing a pie crust. I am very impressed!

    It took me a second to realize you weren't going to send me a baby in the mail for real, but a king cake baby! Can you get those here bc that would be fun to make. Stacy is a NO and Mardi Gras fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy, I'm sure you could get a small enough toy baby to put in it. You've seen them before, right, they're really small. You can always forego it and stick a couple pecans in the bottom where you'd put the baby and pretend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd have to vote with Doug on the no milk bit.

    I'm laughing about the pie crust. My mom passed down her recipe for chocolate chip pie a few years ago that I absolutely LOVE. I never asked for the recipe because I remember it being quite a *process* when I helped make it growing up. Turns out the pie is super easy to make...it was just the pie crust that was the process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. h- it's funny how the pie crust thing turns into intimidating but it's really pretty simple. do you remember the rolling pin throwing incident when I made a apple pie for SF one time? hence the reason i've used the prepared kind most of the time since then. :)

    ReplyDelete