Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A God-story

Highland Community Church near Seattle came down to work in New Orleans. Here's a link that will take you to a "faith in action" story that was used in their services recently. HCC interviewed Doug and Lawrence (an elder and Doug's colleague in the hurricane recovery ministry) when they were here. Lawrence has ministered in the French Quarter for years and since Katrina has taken willing work teams there to be Jesus' hands and feet to the homeless community that inhabits those blocks. In the clip, Doug tells snippets of Bruce's story. A relationship was built with Bruce over several months through the work teams. He was a homeless tarot card reader who lived in the Quarter. His God-story began last November when he chose to give away his table and tarot cards and walk away from the lifestyle he knew. It's amazing and we feel privileged to be part of it. In the months since then, Bruce stayed at our church facility and has since been given a trailer that sits on the church's property, where he currently lives. He gets to regularly interact with all the members of work teams that stay at the church which has been part of his discipleship. His presence in our body has created a challenge for us to be real and simple in living out the gospel. God is truly changing New Orleans one person at a time.

8 comments:

  1. i can't get the link to work!!!
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. nm i just found it on youtube..;)soo cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you tell i was waiting for a post;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT Testimony! I was unable to open the link though and I'm not really sure what to look up once I get to YouTube. Could you write out the link address or upload it to your blog? I'd love to see it. I don't think I've told you, but my husband worked in NO after Katrina until March of 06. I went to see him 3 times and he got to come home 3 times, that was it. He worked 7 days a week, 14 hour days. His company was one of the clean up companies. His office was in Metararie (spelling, sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a story. I love it. Glad you fixed the link ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply amazing! Thank you for being obedient to His calling. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW C...what a great story!
    Thanks for sharing that

    ReplyDelete