In some ways it's amazing that our firstborn son is four, yet in other ways my mind can flash to milestones and special moments all along the way. I'm reminded that his four years of presence in our family has been full of adventure as well as an abundance of God's grace. We're so proud of the little man he's becoming, adore his sweet spirit, have fun challenging his memory, and are learning just how auditory he is (like his dad). Recently, we've enjoyed hearing his take on Jesus and the stories he has learned about him. During the crucifixion scene of the Miracle Maker, he assured Doug, "It's okay, Dad, Jesus is going to come back!" Smile.
If you've spent much time at our house or with Sam, you'll know that he loves animals and has for a while. He's not crazy about real ones and isn't anxious to have a pet, but he is becoming more comfortable with them. Wherever he is, his attention is always turned to the animals in his environment. It wasn't hard to decide that he'd have an animal party with an elephant cake. He and I looked online for cake ideas and he found the one that I made for him. If I didn't have fun making these kinds of culinary creations, I would never have attempted it. I did have a plan B just in case things didn't go well and I desired to throw my rolling pin. Wink.
Here's some pics from the cake-creating and this morning's party. This was our first all-out kids' party and was great!
And, here's a short video of the main snippet of the party ... the birthday song and blowing out the candles. I love his smile. Hooray for little boys and hooray for Sam!


What an awesome cake! I am mucho impressed with your talent.
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to learn how to work with fondant and stuff. Is that what you used?
4 is a great little boy age. Be warned...it's your last year of little boyness :(
Wow! very cool cake - I'm not worthy
ReplyDeleteyeah, so I am definately hiring you to do all our kids b-day cakes. It looks awesome! LOVE the pics of Sam and Zach sitting together eating the cake. You know, last birthday, that was tucker sitting next to him. Looks like Sam has a new best friend! And one that will travel around with him whereever he goes! It's so good to have a brother!
ReplyDeleteThat is an amazing cake! Kuddos!
ReplyDeleteFYI - We're having a Christmas Around the World dinner after church on Sunday. One of the dishes I'm bringing is from Kenya and it looks and tastes almost exactly like beignets. (So I'm told. I'm gonna make a trial batch tomorrow.) They're called mandazi.
I looks like you guys had a blast - wish we could have been there. Orin loved watching the video of you all singing happy birthday - he must have watched it 5 times. :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the cake!
ReplyDeleteE's 4th bday was at a zoo and was all about animals and Stanley and his Great Big Book of Everything. Then there'Silas. Since he has the older brother (E now 7) he seems too grown up -- he had the Playstation2 Lego Star Wars party for his 4th. What happened to all the cute stuff? It makes me sad! Probably I'm really sad that my 'baby' is 4!!!
That sweet video made me tear up. You have precious boys. It was fun to hear Doug's voice in the background. We miss you guys.
ReplyDelete