Thursday, August 30, 2007

Two years

It feels like it should be profound ... the feelings that go along with the two-year anniversary of Katrina. I read what I wrote last year at this time, and not much has changed. Yes, I'm reminded of the effects of those days, but honestly ... it still consumes our lives. Katrina NEVER goes away in our world. It doesn't just show up on our radar screen on the anniversary like it does for the rest of the country. It's been given the status of the worst natural disaster in American history, and history is still being written. Last night, I joined other New Orleans residents from all parts of the city at a worship service/prayer rally to remember. It seemed important to have something on my schedule related to the anniversary, and I came home weary.

We are still experiencing the storm's effects in how we perceive ourselves on earth, how we view God, how we make decisions for the future, etc. It's draining ... physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Recalling the stories I've heard from those in our community makes me weary. Living and serving God in an area of such enormous need is tiring, not to mention constantly saying good-bye to friends who have given up to start over somewhere else or jobs that have taken them elsewhere. When things don't seem to make sense in how people are responding to the church (youth or otherwise), we evaluate how the storm has affected the situation.

Values have changed. Priorities have been rearranged. Yes, I worship God as I see glimpses of His plan in all of it, yet I'm saddened that it takes loss of such magnitude to cause His creation to long for Him. I'm frustrated at the sense of entitlement from those who have had great loss. I'm honored to live in this city "at such a time as this," yet I love to get away and enjoy the less-stress environment in any other city for as long as I can enjoy it.

I can't seem to edit this post in a way that it doesn't sound like streams of consciousness, but perhaps that's how I really perceive Katrina. Too big to understand. Too amazing to fathom. Too on-going to look past.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It's hard to believe that another year has already past. I remember reading your post on the Katrina anniversary last year.

    I think you guys are doing a really great thing to be there in NO through all of this. You are truly a picture of awesome servanthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers. I can not even fathom having constant reminders of such a devastating event. You are so faithful to a city you adopted in marriage. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one who watched in awe and disbelief at what was happening, from the comfort of my home on the complete opposite side of the country, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I know I will never fully realize what the citizens of NO went through.

    ReplyDelete