Soon after we moved to New Orleans and Doug took the job at Berean, I began to work in the church's library which hadn't been managed for years. It has always been a fun outlet to learn and grow as one of my ultimate dreams has always been to be a real librarian. Since no one else was doing it, it seemed natural to take on the task and pretend to be a "librarian" while having no means to actually pursue the dream. It's been a challenge, yet I find it rewarding to be able to help church memeber young and old find something that will help them grow.
Since Katrina (yes, the storm is usually used to differentiate time), my momentum was gone personally and I lost the little help I had to keep it moving forward.
Presently, our church is gearing up for an expansion of our auditorium. The current library will be come part of the new auditorium. As I've been asked to prepare the library's collection to be moved to a new location (on the other side of the foyer), I enjoyed the opportunity to PURGE in a big way. Our collection is now probably less than half of what it was. Much of what filled our shelves was old, outdated, and simply not going to be checked out. There's a huge library book sale going on right now ... three BIG tables filled with books to sell. I listed a bunch on paperbackswap and over 40 titles were requested by the site's users. I deleted my inventory there because I figured 40 points was plenty to find new titles for the more "cutting edge" library I envision.
All that to say, I'm excited about our church library again. My printer is working and getting everything on the computer-generated card catalog is well within reach now that I've weeded so much out of the shelves.
Do you like using paperback swap? I signed up to use them, but haven't had time to sort through my boxes of books.
ReplyDeleteThat actually sounds like a blast to me! I love organizing and re-organizing. Wish I could be your assistant "librarian"!
ReplyDelete