Friday, June 22, 2007

Swim lessons


For the past two weeks, we've had "parent and child" swim lessons as a family from 9:30-10am every weekday at a home in Gretna. It was a little crazy for Doug to be able to meet us every day, but he made it happen. A couple of days it was the only time he saw the boys since a huge church group was in town doing hurricane recovery. The teaching atmosphere was great ... very low-key, lots of routine, peaceful, beautiful garden surrounding the pool area. They did better than I imagined even on the first couple days. Since I never learned how to swim, it's pretty important to me for our kids not to grow up with the fear of water like I did. It was a positive experience for all of us. I may have learned a thing or two, too, in theory, at least.

8 comments:

  1. Fun! I wanted to do swim lessons with Orin this summer but things just got too crazy. Maybe next summer... Sam and Zach will have to show him some of what they learned in the hot tub :-) Have you ever thought about taking lessons yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should take lessons too! You never know it might be fun! "The water is your prey - attack the water!" - that's from Ice Age 2 - my FAVORITE movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun, and a great slide show! I thought all of you took the lessons? (You said it was a family affair.) ?? When you told me at the cookout about not knowing how to swim I meant to pursue the subject but we got distracted. If you didn't do them too, then I hope you will some day. Not only for safety, but because you are missing out on a great experience! It's SO fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very smart you are to teach those boys to swim! We were all on swim team for years and my parents could relax so much with us around water. It does make a differnece. We're working with our boys this summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the water is very scary, but so is so much of life. God will hold them there just as much as He does on the land. It would be wonderful for you to continue developing skills in the water because boys crave water like ducks. You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not be prouder of you, Crystal, getting those boys over the fear of water and even starting some swim skills! I know you want them to love the water, and there certainly is alot of it around here to get used to. I agree! You are a great and loving Mom! I also agree: swimming is a skill anyone can learn at any age. Hint! Hint!
    Love, Mama Daspit aka Mimie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the encouragement. I think I've finally reached a place in life where I'm ready to learn?! (for real) ... a friend taught me some and when we lived in an apt. complex I had access to a pool so that helped me get over some of my fear. BUT, I really would like to be able to save my children if ever necessary. A local friend told me that Tulane is giving free lessons to adults, so I'm planning to look into when we get back from vacation! ;) Hopefully it will be at a time that will work for me to be away from the boys. We'll see. Maybe the timing is right for me to face a physical fear in the midst of learning to live by faith, not fear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job! It looks like they had a good time. I definately want to encourage you to take the lessons as well. If anything, for the reason you mentioned, saving your own kids if need be. You will be amazed at how easy it is. Good job!

    ReplyDelete