The week before last was incredibly busy for us. It was missions conference at our church which means not only did we have family in town but also old college friends. It's so cool when you know that your friends/family are doing what God wants them to, and that's how we feel about many of the visiting missionaries that were in town that week. Of course, we usually feel like we haven't spent enough time with anyone when so much is happening at once.
I felt like I was in the kitchen all the time ... preparing a meal for a friend whose toddler was put in a body cast, feeding those who happened to be in our home for whatever the gathering was, taking dishes to two church meals. Busy. Late nights. Less sleep for the boys. I wondered if it was all important but I kept going and doing and by the end of the week, I was pooped. I can run at break-neck speed for so long and then it all comes crashing down. I was longing for Monday when life would return to normal, and it did. Of course, as I reflected on it this week and enjoyed lots of extra time with the boys, I regained some perspective. Here's some thoughts that either were confirmed, brought to surface, or still swimming in my brain.
1. I am God's hands and feet on earth. His love is shown through my actions to people in desperate circumstances. I don't take this lightly...it's one of my serving priorities.
2. I lose control of my emotions when my kids don't get enough sleep (meaning I don't get down-time and we don't enjoy each other as much).
3. My mission field could be just one person (intentionally) outside my family, and I don't need to feel guilty about it.
4. It is so fun to watch cousins play together, especially when they don't see each other often. For now, there's no inhibitions ... these 4 boys are cousins and therefore friends no matter that their time together physically is limited.
5. I can't even imagine the reality of losing a breast to cancer. Is my identity in Christ or in my physical and mental capabilities? Probably all of that.
6. My boys and I need to laugh together. A lot.
7. Flexible plans are important, yet I need to live today with energy and enthusiasm. Not wishing away the time until a more exciting event. Not dreading a future unpleasant moment. Both of those actions will force me to miss the enjoyment of the moment which usually results in less joy with my family.
8. I'd rather have a kind heart than a clean home. Attitude is more important than appearance.
9. I long to be as driven by God as "Jodi" in YYPG has become. (finished book 6) I long for the community of the YYPG and their families...fiction book, yes, but seemingly real people praying for each other, serving each other, encouraging each other's children -- this is my heart's desire for our little family while here on earth. I want to see God work. All the time.
10. Being a mom is a pretty darn important priority for me. However, I will not use it as an excuse to not minister to others. I will not be a healthy woman of God if my only focus is my kids, my husband, and our home.
Ten seems to be enough, for now. On the homefront, I'm amazed that our kids usually stay healthy in busy times. This week was one of yuckiness which worked out perfectly since our schedule was more relaxed. A cold hit Sam on Monday which resulted in fever, daily doses of Children's Claritin, and lots of inhaler use. On Friday, our pediatrician recommended Zach to an ear specialist because the antibiotics did not eradicate the fluid in his ears. He's had these infections for too long. There's concern for his hearing. We see the specialist on Wednesday (5/9)...possible tubes in his ears. Yesterday, the boys learned what "throw up" is. Zach had his first bout with a stomach virus and Sam had the joy to observe it all. Both Doug and I experienced the downpour. And this is why I'm posting on Sunday morning. Doug left early this morning. I took Sam for church. Zach is taking an early nap. I'm enjoying the silence.
P.S. Mimie has surgery tomorrow ... 9:30am. May need to stay overnight or may come home...please pray for good health for us so we can encourage and support her this coming week.
happy anniversary guys. congrats and have a good week.
ReplyDeleteglad to read that even though you were busy you enjoyed the week. We wished we could have stayed there longer...
ReplyDeleteThe first time we put tubes in Tucks ears I was a little nervous, but they have been great!!! It amazed me how fast they started working! Within a few hours of teh surgery, Tuck was listening better and pronoucing things better.
I found you on facebook, and added you as a friend. Hope you know it's me.
ReplyDeletejust keep swimming, just keep swimming...
ReplyDeleteHave you seen Finding Nemo? I just had to quote it. Really though, I liked your thoughts.
Ditto on the tubes - Tanner & Mason have both had them - they work wonders! The hardest part, for us, was seeing our children come out from under the anesthesia - they aren't quite themselves and there's very little that anyone can do for them - even Mom. But that 15 or 20 minutes is well worth it.
ReplyDelete