For some of you, the title brings a jingle to your mind and that's it. For me and many in my family of origin, it brings warm memories of yummy shoo-fly pie or shoo-fly cake or shoo-fly cupcakes (you notice a theme here?). Out of those three in my mother's repertoire of homemade delicacies, I'd choose shoo-fly cake. It's the one cake that was deemed appropriate for breakfast consumption in the Moyer household. All too often, I remember uncovering the cake and finding a huge rectangle taken out of the middle. Indeed, my brother Durrell had beaten me to the "best piece". We agreed that the center had the most crumb topping, so the end pieces were less than favorable. Strange, huh? All for a piece of cake.Recently, I looked through my pantry and cupboards to determine whether I had the ingredients to make this old Moyer favorite. I had to chuckle when I found not one, not two, but THREE unopened bottles of molasses (the recipe's most unique ingredient). Evidently, I have craved shoo-fly several times, purchased the necessary "extra" ingredient over and over, and NEVER actually made the cake. What was I thinking?
So, today was the day. I finally made a shoo-fly cake. As I type, I'm waiting for it to cool so I can take a bite. I'll be sensible and take a corner piece, leaving the middle still up for grabs. You know, as much as I enjoy this cake, it's really all about the nostalgia and memories that the cake brings. Remembering the sights, sounds, and smells of Mom's comfy kitchen as I eat it will be the true delight.
ooh, I really want a piece!
ReplyDeleteSounds delicious! I know what you mean. My mom made these to-die-for oatmeal cookies, and would put chocolate stars in the middle. These were special for Christmas time. So, now it's a must that I make them every Christmas. They're SOOOO yummy. It's just a part of the holidays for me. So, you can understand why it was a sacriledge to find out that my husbands family makes them just slightly different and puts chocolate kisses in the middle. The end effect is a circular cookie with a brown, pointy star in the middle. What do they calle them?? Madonna cookies!! If you don't get it...think back to the musical star's pointy bra days.
ReplyDeleteIt's a little intimidating to follow a "pointy bra" comment, but here goes...
ReplyDeleteMay I respectfully submit that shoo-fly anything is suitable for consumption 24/7. There is no greater representative "slice" of Lancaster county than shoo-fly stuff.
By the way, if it tastes a little "off" from what you remember, it might be the molasses. King's Molasses is where it's at - stock up next time you're home!
sorry, leslie ... the kisses are our fav. interesting, though ... madonna cookies, huh? :)
ReplyDeletechris, you're so right ... the brer rabbit molasses just doesn't have the same flavor. I have to admit I remembered why I don't make it very often as I took the first bite. And as for stocking up, a broken bottle of King's molasses in my suitcase does not sound fun. Have you seen how the baggage handlers throw the luggage? ;) Maybe we'll drive one day ...