You'd think that being a two-year-old prereader was really hard work or something. Smile.We are pretty intentional about books at our house ... we visit the public library every week to check out a bunch of new ones. These are usually part of the "pick 3" books before bed at night. We're constantly amazed at Sam's increasing vocabulary and the connections that he makes between books and real-life situations. He's also got those Moyer observation skills --- Doug talks about it as if it's this secret talent that only Moyers have, but those strange tiny details that we don't miss in every-day encounters. He's definitely geared toward visual stuff, hence, his LOVE for videos and time with other kids (not to really play with them, just to watch them!).

The littlest still loves his favorite (as shown here), but I find him enjoying his basket of books (all his favs) on his own a lot more lately. He's been open to lots of new titles as long as they have flaps--must be tactile. And, when Sam wouldn't do hardly any baby signs at this age, Zach has learned several along with lots of words to communicate what he wants. He loves to imitate our animal sounds and words over and over. Oh, and as you can see, he's got the long "unfurling" eyelashes of his father.
Oh, these sweet sons of mine.
pretty soon they will be memorizing entire books and "reading" them to you. or better yet..memorizing entire passages of scripture. i don't know if you ever met my younger brother steven but he was an avid reader and used words like "nocturnal" at the age of 3 to describe his stuffed animals. he still loves to read and doesn't go many places without a book. my mom's rule was we had to go to bed at 8:30pm but we were allowed to stay up until 9pm to read. good times!
ReplyDeleteSam definitely doesn't have whole books memorized but can usually finish phrases for us if we stop in the middle of a sentence. I do remember Steven and i wouldn't doubt that he was using huge words at 3. I like your mom's rule. My parents bought me a nightlight that clipped onto my bed before I could actually read, so I could look at books as long as my eyes would stay open. I still read to shut down my mind before bed to this day! And, yes, we've already discussed buying a reading light for Sam. :)
ReplyDeleteCrystal,
ReplyDeleteSam's poise in holding up his head as he reads his book is so 'Moyer'! I do recollect this poise from one of your brothers as some time in their present -- don't know when, but it brought back memories.
Love,
Aunt Marlene