I'm currently reading book 4 in the Yada Yada Prayer Group series by Neta Jackson. I'm overwhelmed as I read such incredible inspirational Christian fiction. I find that I can internalize and learn SO MUCH more through a narrative/story format rather than reading any kind of nonfiction/self-help Christian book offered today. This series is like no other ... an eclectic group of women are assigned to a prayer group together for the duration of a weekend Christian's women's conference .... a tragedy causes the group to continue to meet for prayer after the conference ends despite their dramatic differences in seasons of life, economic status, denominations, races, family backgrounds, etc. Truly, it's just a glimpse of what I long for "the church" as I know and worship with --- to be, but if I'm honest, I'm not sure I could handle it. The main character is someone I can relate with --- wants a picture-perfect Christian family with little problems completely under control and doesn't meet much adversity. She learns quickly by rubbing shoulders with all these very different women that God is bigger than her picture of what life is all about.
Anyway, I know the summer is almost over, but, ladies, if you're looking for some light yet challenging fiction ... please pick up these books. They will challenge your very core beliefs and values.
Recently, on a church leadership retreat, an "older" woman and I connected on so many ideas that I'm processing ... she's been a key part of our prayer ministry in the past, and I think I'll ask her to meet with me a couple of times a month to pray. I know I'd be encouraged by her presence in my life, so I'm anxious to see what she thinks. I may be wrong --- but I often feel like I have to instigate any real time with older women-- they assume that I'm busy with young children and don't have time to hang out. But, God knows (and my husband too!) that I NEED the presence of women in my life -- to keep me grounded, whether it's peers sharing the same seat in life with young kids or those who have already travelled this part of life's highway.
I had my Women's Bible Study leader recommend the Yada Yada books, too. Guess I will have to take a look at them now.
ReplyDelete