Thursday, July 27, 2006

Currently reading

If you've followed any part of the Martin and Gracia Burnham story (held hostage for over a year while on vacation from their missionary life in the Philippines), you'll want to pick up Gracia's newest book that was published earlier this year, entitled To Fly Again. I think it will be particularly timely for many of those people who find themselves with some kind of loss due to Katrina. Whether it's their home, their job, their kids' schools, their church, or just life as we knew it, it feels like we (all affected by Katrina) need to "survive this tailspin of our life". So far, the book has been full of practical stories, tidbits and learnings ... short chapters with a powerful point to ponder. Gracia's no-nonsense, authentic, "I'm-normal-just-like-you" style is so refreshing. It's nice to read about someone going through rough stuff who's willing to admit that they haven't responded very Christ-like all the time.

Here's my little rant: I'm so tired of the masks we put on as Christians. I'm tired of the sin that we don't want to keep each other accountable for fear of "judging". I'm tired of the "I have it all together, don't question me about my faith OR actions" attitude. Where did we miss that Christ was absolutely humble? How can we think we have it altogether and are incapable of huge sin staring in our face that we're unwilling to admit or even take the time to look for ... when we know that just about all the "heroes" that made the headlines of the Bible's pages had a major lack of faith or a massive character flaw or made a major mistake? I wish I had people in my life (yeah, it might not be fun all the time) that would tell me when I'm gossiping or when my attitude is dead wrong or when I'm being selfish and proud. I do have some and am thankful for them, but if we're going to be real -- then let's be real. I don't have it altogether, hence the reason for my feeble atempts at complete dependence on God and need for His working and power in every aspect of my life, actions, words, values, etc. Ok, I'm done.

Go ahead, leave a comment ... am I all alone in my assessment? Am I being negative and judgmental? I don't mind ... I'm willing to hear it all.

4 comments:

  1. i'm hesitant to say this because it does sound churchy but "preach it sister!" when i moved to the northwest we were in for a slap in the face when it came to us as christians. we quickly learned that it's not what day of the week you go to churh that matters and that you can have real relationships with people and not be fake and that the subjects that people think are taboo or things that christians shouldn't be talking about (things that people struggle with) that other people are going through that same things and that you are not alone. i'm not always the best with my words so this may not make any sense but i wanted to post this comment anyways. thanks for you post and keep praying that i remember to depend on God more because i often lack in that area. oh and you aren't being to harsh just honest and that's what i like.

    i'm glad that i got your blog back. for a couple of days there i couldn't see it when i clicked on your name. oh and lucky that you got to go to the cheesecake bistro (or was it factory) either way lucky. :)

    when do you go on your vacation. we may be coming in aug2-7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx, Jenn. Our time in seminary at Dallas sounds similar to yours in the NW ... it's amazing how different Christianity "looks" depending on the region of country you're in as well as each individual church. Then, sometimes I wonder if it's just a generation thing because most others that share my view of some of this stuff tend to be about my age ... I don't know ... maybe it's just a generational thing. Still trying to figure it out ... thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say ... it looks like we'll be out of town the entire time you might be here. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that stinks that you will be out of town. i had a feeling that's when it would be when i read your post. i was excited to see you guys and those handsome boys of yours. there will be other times. we are planning on spending christmas with my parents this year so maybe then.

    maybe it is a generation thing i dont know but the regional thing could be true too. i don't know. let me know if you figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete