My latest discovery in the culinary area is that I can make a whole meal in my rice cooker! :) I decided to try crawfish jambalaya ... and found an online recipe for the rice cooker by accident. It turned out GREAT ... even for this Amish cook down in the bayou. It was so delicious that the aroma was most enticing and cause for extra excitement from the hubby. Even my mother-in-law loved it! So, then, I realized that maybe I could do some other stuff in my rice cooker. Here's one of our favorites that I've borrowed from the Soileau family (thx to Tricia at my bridal shower!):
Chicken and Rice Casserole
1 stick butter (let melt in the bottom of the cooker while you're gathering everything else)
1 can french onion soup
1 can cream mushroom soup
roughly about 2 cans water
about 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 1/4 cups uncooked rice
Put it all in rice cooker (I rinsed the rice?!) and let it cook! It took about 25 minutes, but next time I'll use brown rice and it will probably take closer to 50-60 minutes. It tasted the same yumminess as when I cook it in a casserole dish at 350 for an hour in the oven.
So, if you use your rice cooker regularly for more than rice ... please share recipes! If you have a rice cooker sitting in the back of one of your cabinets, I challenge you to pull it out this summer when you don't want to heat up your kitchen. And, if you really want to, go buy a rice cooker and get excited about cooking again!
After a little research online, I found recipes for scrambled eggs, oatmeal, spaghetti and other pasta, all kinds of puddings and other yummy desserts. (I bet rice pudding would be a breeze, Mom!) It seems like it would be great for college students, or maybe empty nesters, and anyone who wants to save on some energy.
Happy cooking!
No comments:
Post a Comment