Saturday, May 27, 2006

Stats and brag on pediatrician

Last Tuesday we visited the doctor: The boys' ear infections are gone after just one round of antibiotics! I'm a happy mom!

Zach also had his 1 year well visit. He's now 22 lbs. and 29 1/2 inches long, and Sam is 30 lbs. (no wonder that double stroller is hard to turn!)

Oh, and I've just got to say ... I love our new pediatrician's office. I changed doctors for the boys soon after the storm because I got so tired of waiting up to 2 hours in a sterilish yet pukish smelling room. Then, we may have had to wait another 30-45 minutes for the dr. (after the nurse weighed and measured) in the exam room. Although I really liked our doctor -- he seemed genuinely interested in my concerns, enjoyed our boys, wasn't overly uptight about normal stuff, and always made me feel like I was doing a good job as a mom! After meeting with him, we had to wait again until the nurses finished our visit. Needless to say, I've never waited more than 20 minutes at Hales. They have separate sick waiting rooms for those feeling yucky, while the rest of the waiting room is quite cozy. The office assistants help with the weighing and measuring (fully clothed!) and it's right near the rest of the waiting area. We see the dr. in his/her office (instead of a normal exam room), so I can hold the boys on my lap while she/he is sitting to exam them. The drs. never stand so that the kiddos aren't freaked out just by their mere height. And, they're fast ... no dilly dallying looking for lost paperwork or trying to figure out a chart. There's lots of fun toys in each dr. office. Stickers are given out at the end ... anyway, it's just a really great place for kids and moms! If I have the first appt. of the day, I can be out of there in less than an hour, and get both boys checked!!

Sam doesn't dislike going to the dr. We get to park in the garage and ride two elevators to get there .. he gets to push the buttons outside the elevator and I push the ones inside. He loves to jump in the elevator and thinks it's cool to walk by himself while I push Zach in the stroller. We've gone so many times, he knows the entire routine ... where to go when we get off each elevator, where the big boy scale is, where our dr.'s office is, and where the sticker basket is!! :) Zach didn't cry once during our last visit even though he got booboos in each bicep.

Anyway, so hooray for our pediatrician group. Wish I could find a doctor for us big people that we wouldn't have to wait so long to see.

2 comments:

  1. Having a great pediatrician is awesome! I love our 45 min. visits rather than the 2 or 3 hour visits I had when E was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some of us pediatricians are OCD (obsessive-compulsive) about being on time. it drives me crazy to run behind. My appointment schedule is set up so it shouldn't happen, but, unfortunately, sometimes patients show up late and hose me.

    I examine kids in exam rooms but all kids 3 and under are examined on Mom's lap (older kids, too, if they're apprehensive).

    I'm glad you have a pediatrician you like... that's part of why I'm a pediatrician today... I loved mine.

    ReplyDelete