After a little rest time for the older boys and while Eli was napping, Sam and Zach ventured to the roof to try the pool/hot tub. Sam couldn't stand the cold, but Zach and I enjoyed a good half-hour's date in the hot tub. The air was very cold, but we had to stay in the water to keep from shivering. Another special memory for me. I love our middle man.
John and Mel grilled hamburgers and hot dogs last night for everyone. The elevator has come in handy to bring food up to the top floor. But, it has been a fun little adventure for the grandkids too. Sam enjoys being the elevator operator. Heidi pulled out some suncatchers for the kids to paint. It's always fun to see young and old trying their hand at creativity. Earlier in the day, the kids donned paint shirts and painted little banks. Sam has a orange and green bear and Zach chose a turtle that he painted yellow with orange spots. I've gotten some great ideas for paint kinds of activities for them that might not be as messy as a bowl of paint and a brush. I love having siblings that are in the next future season of life from us. Our family is a beautiful community.
Durrell's family brought Rock Band to share with the family, so that was one of the final activities of the night. Durrell sang, I drummed, Melody stepped, and Heidi played guitar. I'm so not patient with that kind of activity but I won't forget Durrell's rendition of "Dead or Alive". Benton's was even more entertaining. A couple rounds of late-night snacks and more conversation and we were off to bed in the wee hours of the morning. One of my other favorite parts of this has been my "debrief" time (not literally - wink) with Doug before we close our eyes at night. I love to hear his perspective on our family since his history with us is a lot shorter than mine and sometimes much fresher without some of the presuppositions I carry. I love it. It's the beauty of marriage mixed with a healthy priority to extended families.
I asked Dad this morning if he was enjoying the week. He agreed that it was so nice to be able to just "chill" (I can't remember the word he used) and see everyone so relaxed. I truly believe that he and Mom have embraced our time together fully and are enjoying it all immensely. That makes me happy as it seems like our desire to honor this milestone with them coupled with their desire to celebrate their anniversary with us in this manner is happening. It's HUGE for all of us. A beautiful legacy ... more to come.
I am so glad that you are able to relax and
ReplyDeleteenjoy yourself. Zach is gonna make a wonderful husband one day.He likes one on one time what a great gift he has and he also likes to snuggle! Added bonus!!!!
MISSA