Friday, September 05, 2008

Next stop: Slidell

Today was departure day. We left Birmingham around 8am, enjoying Chick-fil-a breakfast before beginning our trip. Although we anticipated some traffic on I-59 south, we were happy to experience none. All we saw was some random LA plates and several police-escorted caravans of charter buses. We heard that fresh produce was scarce even in Slidell, so we made a stop in Picayune to get some fresh fruit and veggies, etc. The boys and I have stayed here for the afternoon while Doug drove on into the city and our neighborhood.

Power has not yet been restored to our home and neighborhood. Water and sewer are fine. Mail delivery and garbage pickup resumed. Some services are open like a gas station and several fast-food restaurants, but no grocery stores. The church's power was restored yesterday, but was off again for awhile last night.

We're in for a little more waiting, but we're comfortable. It feels good to be close to home. Wink. And, I'm eating my evacuation cookies* right now. It's all good.

*In the midst of the craziness while deciding if we needed to evacuate or not, I decided to bake oatmeal raisin cookies to calm my mind. Unfortunately, I left the cookies on the kitchen counter when we actually left for Birmingham.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love that you are actually enjoying your evacuation cookies!! :)
    Glad all is easing back to normalcy. I've been praying for all involved. Dibjyqxwd you have fun in Bham, tho?? I hope so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that your 'hangin in' My dad was tired of staying in Folsom with my sister-n-laws parents b/c they didnt have any power. After three days of no shower/shave, he decided to come up here:) He is clean now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I am in awe of your marvelous patience and calm in the midst of the storm(s). God has truly blessed your family to love and minister to NOLA.

    ReplyDelete