Sunday, March 09, 2008

Simple and green

We've been talking a lot about living more simply, using our resources more wisely, becoming even more thrifty, and helping our environment ... at our house. I'm sure some would think that the things we've talked about are teeny-tiny steps in this process, but we're excited about how this new framework of thinking is playing itself out.

We heard about a movement called the Advent Conspiracy around Christmas and were drawn to it. We struggled to implement some of those ideas in 2007 as we were already in December, but this year we'll be able to do it even better. I've already planned some of our homemade Christmas gifts.

I've already talked about cloth diapers and will probably use cloth wipes too ... at least when we're at home. I'm pretty excited about the little toilet sprayer that connects to the toilet to help with cleanup. And, who knew, that you could sew your own all-in-ones. Amazing.

Another sewing project I'm thinking about is to sew cloth grocery bags.

We found some other ways to save money lately and make some too ... selling books on half.com and nearly new toys or unwanted gifts on ebay, cancelling our home phone after signing up w/T-Mobile HotSpot at Home, cutting off cable in order to use an rooftop antenna, etc.

As I've mentioned before, I'm spending more time baking from scratch in order to save cash on the pre-packaged stuff or bakery items, besides the added benefit of no extra preservatives that are in all that stuff. In the past month, I've made at least three different kinds of muffins in a quest for the perfect muffin for our family. None have wow-ed all of us yet. Along the healthier strain, I'm determined to use the whole 5lb. bag of whole wheat flour I bought ... before the expiration date. I made angel food cake for the first time (Mimie's birthday) and some Irish soda bread for a St. Patrick's Day themed dinner. I hope to try these baguettes soon.

I'm sure there are other things that aren't coming to my preggo brain right now. I'd love to hear ideas of ways that your family has found to cut back on the extra fluff and live more simply -- not necessarily out of necessity, but out of choice.

10 comments:

  1. you can sew a grocery bag from your old plastic sacs too. You just fold the old ones and iron them between two peices of wax paper and it makes a very sturdy material you can sew with. I bought a couple reusable grocery bags but I still aquire a lot of plasic ones and since it's free...? why not? I like your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about the reusable grocery bags but just never did anything about that thought. We use the plastic ones as small trash can liners. We never bought a special diaper pail so we just line a small trash can with those and it's easy to grap it and tie it shut when it's full of diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same as Veazer.

    I like your ideas. I will be checking your link...Link Queen!!!

    Have you tried the Raisin Bran muffins that you can keep the batter for weeks and weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ideas on living simply. I most of my ziplocs and reuse them (a trick i learned from Abbey). We also use Walmart bags as our trash bags, I can not tell you how much I have saved on not buying large trash bags and I just take the trash out every evening for a lovely smelling kitchen in the morning. :)
    Do you like the T Mobile plan? We have been trying to decide about giving up our home phone, right now we function without cell phones and it is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok so I meant I wash my ziplocs... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what type of reuseable diapers are you going with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved using cloth diapers and cloth wipes.

    Miss you lots

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to use wheat flour - makes me feel healthy! For all my recipes, I use half regular and half wheat flour. I have noticed that wheat flour tends to be a little drier than regular so I have had to adjust recipes where it matters, like the all important cookie!!

    Not sure if you know, but it's a good idea to keep wheat flour in the freezer because it will get rancid over time.

    I have a great muffin recipe that everyone seems to love and they don't realize how healthy it is. It's a Taste of Home recipe for Morning Glory Muffins. The first time Kevin had them, he thought they were chocolate chip - I had to tell him there isn't one ounce of chocolate in them, but there is wheat germ :) Let me know if you want me to send you the recipe.

    Counting down the days with you!!

    Love, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading a book lately regarding the simple living movement and it has inspired me as well. You can purchase produce items from a local farmer's market instead of the grocery store... taking small steps towards simple living is what counts cause you are helping the environment as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have anyway of documenting how much you will actually save by doing this green stuff? I'd be curious. Oh, and do you mind if I call you Caroline Ingles? haha!

    ReplyDelete