Friday, December 07, 2007

Day 1

You wouldn't think that a two hour time change was a big deal, but it's proven to be a little weird. We're hungry and tired at strange times and often it doesn't seem to be the same as one another. Our goal for today was to "walk around and see what we could find". We're staying near the Seattle Center, which has become a kid-friendly environment since there's an ice skating rink and the children's museum nearby. It was strange that we smelled beignets as soon as we entered the food court. Indeed, "New Orleans beignets" were the first on the menu. Our first glimpses of a Christmas village with a train made us think of the boys and how cool they would think it was. We caught the monorail from there downtown and found our way to Pike Place Market. The vendors take pride in their displays and wares. It had a similar feel to the French Market (in NOLA) and the Green Dragon (in Ephrata), but was much more sophisticated and clean. We found the original Starbucks and smiled at the performance by the street performer w/silly hat on the stoop with his two dogs. Sipping on our Starbucks, we passed by Pike Place Seafood, where they announce your order and throw the fish (or whatever) from in front of the display case to behind it to get wrapped. A bunch of quirky guys making work fun is always nice. A picture with the pig was taken. Hunting for a bathroom became a frequent occurrence of the day. A tucked-away used bookstore provided us a with a possible name for baby boy #3. We contemplated visiting the Aquarium but opted for a harbor cruise instead. After an average fish and chips and an amazing bowl of clam chowder at Ivar's, we boarded the ship for our scenic tour around Elliot Bay and Puget Sound. The Waterfront is pretty and we like how the piers have numbers. We enjoyed the silly stories about the history behind the city and always wonder what's true or not. Many shops visited and little purchased.

We walked back through downtown towards Westlake Center, did some actual shopping in that area before finding a table at PF Changs for an early dinner. Afterwards, we stumbled upon a Christmas caroling competition that we didn't have the energy or the warmth to stay for, but we did enjoy some free Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate and a little tap dancing performance before heading back to the Inn.

One astounding observation was the mere number of Starbucks stores that we saw today. It had to be 30 or so. As soon as we passed one, there was another in view. I took some self-control not to justify getting another cup of hot something to keep warm. We did purchase warm caps along the way that made our brisk walk more bearable.

By the time we arrived at the Inn, I was done for the night. My knee (the one that has not been surgeried) was bothering me most of the day. Weirdness ... it hurt in Charleston this summer too, but doesn't hurt at home. I'm beginning to think it's the elevation, but it's probably from just sitting so long getting somewhere then walking alot. That along with the baby and the steep inclines in downtown Seattle, I admit that I wasn't the most energetic explorer. Thankfully, I didn't have any extra lower pressure from the baby like I've been experiencing, otherwise I really would have been hobbling around. After a little rest, we found a video rental store around the block and I slept through the movie we rented. A good night's uninterrupted sleep is the best part of any vacation without kids.

9 comments:

  1. holy cow! i wish i had known ya'll were going. seattle rocks! anyway email me at work right away when you get this and john might be able to hook you up with some football tickets to tomorrow's seahawks game if you would like to go. erinh@plano.gov

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, I'm definitly adding this to the places I want to visit. There's a great stamp store there if your interested!! Share pictures when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your having a great time.The home front is going well,lets just say it is going and leave it at that!We are all having fun. we have gone to mcd's for lunch with Jordan and out to Brothers with mei,mei.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you got to go on your vacation. seattle is lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you saying that the Green Dragon is unsophisticated and dirty????? Maybe "ultra-rurally cultured" and "well used" instead??? I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression of Lancaster County. :)

    Believe it or not, there's a business training video out there based on Pike Place Seafood called "Fish" - it shows those guys tossing fish around - pretty cool.

    Glad you changed your mind about the blog vacation - have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. squeaks, we would love that but i'm only checking in now, so we're guessing the offer has expired.

    care-in, i forgot about the stamp store you mentioned before. shoot me the name and I'll look it up ... who knows? maybe i can pick up a little somethin somethin for my friend in tx.

    melissa, glad you got the van started ... a little disconcerting on our end but we weren't worried. so thankful the boys are in such capable hands.

    chris, lol, i think i was meaning that the french market is dirty and the green dragon is unsophisticated ... how's that? :)and, just in case you were wondering, i actually got around to baking a shoofly cake ove t-giving. sam and i polished most of it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love Seattle? Doug, doesn't the coffee at the original starbucks just taste a little bit better??? Crystal, I didn't think of it until now, but you could have borrowed my really warm coat. We sure didn't bring it here with us! Sounds like you guys are having a great time! I must admit, I'm a little jealous. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Green Dragon! I haven't thought about that place in years! It's definitely a rural attraction worth taking in when in Lancaster County.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear on the shoofly cake. I noticed that none of your traditions really revolved around food - I think shoofly cake/pie at Thanksgiving would be a good one - I know I'm thankful for it whenever I get it!

    By the by, your Mom sent some zuchinni relish my way via my Mom. I'm pretty geeked. If some hot, roasted corn shows up in a burlap sack, I might keel over!

    ReplyDelete