When Sam was a toddler (under 2), he was around dogs fairly often. Doug's cousin brought a dog to Friday night family dinners, which was joined by Doug's great-aunt's dog, Rowdy, from next door. Sam was used to them being around even if it wasn't at his own house and he didn't mind them. But then Katrina happened, and those meeting places (family homes) were lost. For about six months or more, we gathered at the surviving homes of family and the dogs didn't always make the trip. During that time, Sam became fearful of dogs. A rough experience of surprise at a church member's home didn't help either. But, tonight, we realized that Sam might be coming around to old Rowdy, the beloved Scottie of Uncle Randy and Auntie Waweet (don't ask). After I told the boys that we were going to their house, Sam smiled proudly and exclaimed to Zach, "We get to see Rowdy!!" I didn't know he had become such a highlight. Tonight, as we were visiting, I noticed Sam started coughing which eventually turned into wheezing. As the night went on, we learned that Sam was so comfortable with Rowdy that he was petting him. Smile. I'm so proud of him for overcoming that fear on all his own. However, we had to leave early to get him home to his inhaler.
On the way home, as he's hacking away and having a hard time talking to us and breathing at the same time, I explained that something from Rowdy's hair probably makes him cough. He pipes up and says, "After I use my unhaler, then Rowdy will get his bark back." Doug and I giggled in the front that Sam did indeed sound like he had caught Rowdy's bark by the way he was coughing.
Once we arrived home, he used the inhaler the best he ever had. It's usually a toss-up as to whether he's going to put up a fight or not. I guess he got the full treatment because his coughing and wheezing immediately stopped.
Another experience to add to bolstering our family's "no pet plan". Doug was a little too happy that he reacted that way. We'll see if Sam remembers this in the future and decides if petting his old friend is worth having to use his inhaler. I think I'll have it on me next time we visit.
Hey Crystal! Peanuts, dogs, what else?! Sam is fuuunny:)
ReplyDeleteAly