Saturday, January 07, 2006

A real treasure

One of my favorite Christmas gifts this year was a book of "Our Family's Favorite Recipes" that my mom put together for each of her daughters and daughters-in-law. It's one of those spiral bound books that you can flip and can stand on its own. The front cover has a picture of her on it ... and she even wrote all the recipes (for all 7 books!) by hand! Yes, it's a treasure. Even though I've already asked for most of the recipes since I've been married, it's a wonderful heirloom that I'll cherish and a wonderful token of the "good food" part of my heritage I enjoy. Here's some of my favorites: Chocolate Filled Cupcakes, Shoo Fly Cake, Whoopie Pies, Graham Cracker Pie, Glazed Ham Balls, Potato Pie, Chicken Corn Soup, Rhubarb Sauce. I'm sure you can tell by that list that our family loved dessert! (and still does.)

So, anyway, thanks, Mom, for the incredible gift of love ... as it sits on my windowsill above my sink, I feel just a bit closer to you even though many, many miles separate us. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment